Global Day of Coderetreat

Kenneth Cochran

Sep 20, 2012, 3:40:44 PM9/20/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
At the meeting the other night I mentioned I am hosting a coderetreat on December 8th, participating in a globally organized event. Here's some more details about the event...

The Gulf Coast is participating in the Global Day of Coderetreat 2012!

Coderetreat is a day-long, intensive practice event focusing on the fundamentals of software development and design. By providing developers the opportunity to take part in focused practice, away from the pressures of 'getting things done', the coderetreat format has proven itself to be a fun and highly effective means of skill improvement.

For 32 hours on December 8th, Coderetreats will be held all over the world as part of the Global Day of Coderetreat[1]. The Global Day of Coderetreat helps to raise awareness of Coderetreats and brings people together from all over the world. Most importantly, The Global Day of Coderetreat helps to support global efforts to find, encourage, and educate the next generation of software developers (through the Coderetreat Community Contribution Fund[2]).

Last year, 94 cities participated. This year, we anticipate approximately 200 cities will participate with an average of 15-20 participants per city.

To celebrate this significant event, we'll be participating in some global activities in addition to our normal Coderetreat activities. It's going to be a lot of fun!

As with other Global Day of Coderetreat sites, registration will open on Thursday, November 3rd, 2012. You can register at:

http://gdcrgulfcoast.eventbrite.com/

You only need to bring a laptop with the development tools you require to write code using your chosen programming languages.  A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided.
If you have any problems registering, or have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

[1] http://globalday.coderetreat.org
[2] http://coderetreat.org/about/c3f

I am still in need of sponsors, a hosting location and a facilitator to lead the sessions. If any of you think your employer may be interested being a food or host sponsor or if you or someone you know may be interested in leading the session please contact me. I am working on a sponsor prospectus and some promotional flyers. I'll post them when they are finished.

Looking forward to a great time,

-Kenny

Joshua Welch

Sep 20, 2012, 4:11:14 PM9/20/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com

Sweet, I'll sign up but I'll wan you my laptop doesn't last long without power.

Josh

Joshua Welch

Sep 20, 2012, 5:32:50 PM9/20/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
Signed up, but make sure you send out updates and reminders, December 8th is a long way away.

Kenneth Cochran

Sep 20, 2012, 5:58:25 PM9/20/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
Shouldn't be a problem. Where ever we wind up hosting should have enough outlets for everyone.

Kenneth Cochran

Nov 5, 2012, 3:51:08 PM11/5/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
Global Day of Coderetreat is only a month away and registration in full swing. If you were thinking about attending but haven't signed up yet don't wait too long. This event is limited to 25 people and 9 have already RSVPed. That leaves only 16 spots available.

For those of you that have already signed up... tell your friends.

Andrew Myers

Nov 5, 2012, 9:43:39 PM11/5/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com, pcol...@googlegroups.com
Any word on the location yet?

Sent from my iPhone

Kenneth Cochran

Nov 6, 2012, 11:43:09 AM11/6/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
Still trying to nail that down. So far I've had more interested attendees than interested sponsors. I'm still moving forward though.

If you think your business might be interested in sponsoring or you know a business that might be interested give me the contact information. I have a sponsor prospectus that goes over the benefits of sponsoring and the different types of sponsorships available.

If sponsors don't step up by the event date the only thing it has cost is a little disappointment.

Andrew Myers

Dec 8, 2012, 12:01:49 AM12/8/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com, pcol...@googlegroups.com
Has this been canceled?

Sent from my iPhone

Kenneth Cochran

Dec 8, 2012, 7:43:53 AM12/8/12
to pcol...@googlegroups.com

Nope. It starts at 9:00am today. We had such a positive response that we're overbooked. If you want to come go to gscrgulfcoast.eventbrite.com and join the wait list. I can probably squeeze one more in.