May meeting & the future

J_Rey

May 21, 2013, 1:13:39 AM5/21/13
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
Well, we have the meeting room at Ozone reserved for the 3rd Tuesday of every month. We're very thin on leadership right now & haven't had much of a meeting for awhile. So how about everyone that's up for it meet tomorrow night and then we'll cancel the recurring part of things with them after? We could just talk about whatever we've found interesting with Linux over food & drinks.

Please confirm if you might be there so we know about who to expect.

Now for the future and with my new work schedule and outside of regular business hours we could do Friday night, late Saturday morning or early Saturday afternoon. Until interest ramps back up then do it every other month as well.

Any thoughts/votes on locations? Ozone has been good for us but some people might not come because of the cost of going out, the type of food and so on. We could do like a BBQ/cookout at someone's house before the weather gets too hot. We could meet up at a local business like we used to back when also.

I'm fine with presenting but am having issues deciding on topics so is there anything y'all want to hear more about? Anyone up for helping present on something? How about some more hands on things like meeting up to update a router to OpenWrt or other group event style settings?

Michael Viron

May 21, 2013, 1:34:28 AM5/21/13
to pcol...@googlegroups.com, pcol...@googlegroups.com
This would actually be tonight, as it is after midnight.

The issue for me is not that I don't want to come, but having meetings after work two nights in a row to start off the week doesn't have me overly enthused (another group I'm involved with meets the 3rd Monday).

Friday and the weekend are equally challenging.  Historically, meetings scheduled on a Friday / Saturday are the least well attended.

Just some thoughts,

Michael

Sent from my iPhone

James

May 21, 2013, 8:53:10 AM5/21/13
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
I joined the group electronically over a year ago... have yet to attend a meeting.  I've either been completely broke, had class or DAV (Disabled American Veterans) meetings, which falls on the same day as the PLUG meetings.  I am interested in attending meetings, I'm just a busy person.  I work a full time job, full time student, plus I have a wife and 4 kids that keep me both broke and busy.  As long as it's not a TUE or THU I'm good to go (for the Summer Semester), and closer to the 1st of the month would be great for me.

Perhaps a potluck or BBQ. You can't go wrong with a BBQ!  Have we considering looking into meeting at a place like the VFW, DAV or library.  They usually have the room available.  Unsure about cost, I just called the library in crestview to see about hosting a "computer class," for disabled veterans, and they want $10/hr.  Using the library is cheaper than replacing the bulb on my projector.

IF you can get enough participation, we can rent a pavilion at one of the State FOrest parks like Bear Lake in the Blackwater River STate forest.  They have a large pavilion that is cheap to rent.  This can be an annual PLUG picnic.

I hope to get involved soon!

James
Baker, FL

Dan C

May 21, 2013, 10:28:04 AM5/21/13
to pcol...@googlegroups.com
As one of the original PLUG members (since 2002), it saddens me to say this, but..... I think the LUG is done. Things have changed so much in the last ten years. Linux is now easy to use, and when you have trouble, a quick Google search solves the problem. It didn't use to be like that, and the PLUG gatherings served a valuable purpose in problem solving and comraderie. People have gotten busier, and there just isn't the (technical) need to talk about issues in person any more. I'm not saying this is a good thing, just that it's reality. We have been down the "let's resurrect the LUG" road numerous times already, and trust me when I tell you that it just isn't gonna happen. I casually watch this FB group, and the GG mailing list, but I think the days of getting together in person are not going to happen again. I would like to be wrong on this, but experience tells me otherwise. I'll be lurking in the background.