A demonstration at Barnes and Noble tomorrow against Senator Gillibrand's ordering the massacring of thousands of NYC geese

Joan Harrison

Sep 8, 2014, 3:13:56 PM9/8/14
to pcm-v...@googlegroups.com

The notice below was sent to pcm-vegans yesterday, September 7, and it's still not posted as far as I know. The inference I'm drawing therefore is that no one knows about the demonstration yet. Today, September 8th, I demonstrated alone for about an hour at Barnes and Noble with numerous paper posters placed in a row on the ground which were read by many passersby. Tomorrow I expect to hold a silent vigil for the thousands of murdered geese at the same venue from 3 p.m. until 7 or 7:30 p.m. Anyone interested in joining me is welcome.  There was a Union Square officer who stopped by and asked what the posters were about and I told him.  He said that though he'd let me stay where I was today--directly in front of Barnes and Noble seated alongside the posters--tomorrow I should get a table and put it near the curb opposite the entrance and place the posters on top. Thus...official permission is tacitly granted for tomorrow's event. Here again is the initial notice...

Calling all ethical vegans and other animal advocates!

The government as you know is waging war on wildlife all across the country and in particular on the geese, swans, turkeys, deer, doves, pigeons, foxes, gulls, and other creatures who inhabit the parks, refuges, and other supposedly protected spaces of New York City.  There is always some pretext for the killings and the pretexts are always transparently bogus.  For more information go to the GooseWatchNYC website.

The person directly responsible for the annual USDA massacring by asphyxiation of huge numbers of Canada Geese at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge over the last few years--with the complicity of the staff at the so-called refuge itself--is Senator Kirsten Gillibrand.  Gillibrand is giving a presentation at the Union Square Barnes and Noble on September 9th, a presentation based on her recent memoir.  Priority seating begins at 3 p.m.  That the book store is directly across the street from where the Veggie Pride speeches are generally given makes it an ideal place for raising consciousness about the atrocities against wildlife.  GooseWatchNYC is organizing a demonstration to protest Gillibrand's part in the goose massacres.

Anyone interested out there in joining us please email me (joan...@gmail.com) or David Karopkin (da...@goosewatchnyc.com)!  David is providing posters, a petition, flyers, etc.  I'm trying to arrange a strategy meeting at the site for Monday September 8th.  Anyone interested in participating should show up Monday at Barnes and Noble on 17th Street at 1 p.m. and bring ideas!  And even if you can't attend the strategy meeting and don't email, please show up on Tuesday September 9th at 3 p.m. and plan on staying a few hours at least.

Thank you,
Joan Harrison