Ridge Route Video

Errin Vasquez

Sep 13, 2023, 2:35:28 PM9/13/23
to PCH Randos
Here's a great video by Gravel Bike California about the history of the Ridge Route. Thought it might be of interest to the group. Lots of history up there.

Mike Sturgill

Sep 13, 2023, 2:43:07 PM9/13/23
to PCH Randos
Thanks for this link, Errin.

Question for the group/Kerin: Are there any brevets or perms that ride the Ridge Route? That's a road I've always wanted to ride and would love to ride it with others.

Thanks,
-Mike in (still hot) Phoenix

Errin Vasquez

Sep 13, 2023, 2:56:31 PM9/13/23
to mikest...@cox.net, PCH Randos
Hi Mike,

Yes there was a brevet in July of this year. It's a great ride. Here is the RWGPS of the route.

Kerin Huber

Sep 13, 2023, 2:57:25 PM9/13/23
to mikest...@cox.net, PCH Randos
Hi Mike,
Yes, we do use the Old Ridge route occasionally.  This summer we ran the North Sierra Pelona Populaire, which descended into Santa Clarita on the Ridge Route.  I think it is also a perm.
Also, one of our Dart teams used the Ridge Route as part of their route.
Kerin

Mike Sturgill

Sep 13, 2023, 3:02:05 PM9/13/23
to PCH Randos
Thank Errin! Bummer that I totally missed that this brevet rode the Ridge Route. I notice that this route descends RR. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to ride in this direction as opposed to climbing it from Castaic?

Thanks,
-Mike

Errin Vasquez

Sep 13, 2023, 5:12:06 PM9/13/23
to mikest...@cox.net, PCH Randos
I'm sure others will weigh in. I have ridden it in both directions and I'd say it's almost a wash. Either way you have to get up to the "ridge" part of it. And once you're there it's still up and down.

Bill Sheffler

Sep 22, 2023, 12:10:05 AM9/22/23
to PCH Randos
My first 400k in 2003 followed the Ridge Route. It was certified for PBP qualification. But I believe the RBA's org has folded or been merged

G Cardell

Oct 23, 2023, 1:13:37 AM10/23/23
to PCH Randos
The perm that goes down the Old Ridge Route has the same name as the Populaire and follows the same route is "North Sierra Pelona", #4620,  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41841335

Brook Henderson

Oct 23, 2023, 2:45:55 AM10/23/23
to G Cardell, PCH Randos
Greg,

IMO, the ORR loop should run the opposite direction. That is, climb ORR and descend San Fran.

Mike Sturgill

Oct 23, 2023, 10:31:10 AM10/23/23
to bro...@gmail.com, G Cardell, PCH Randos
After this discussion below, I created a Perm (#4830) which starts/finishes in Ventura. I'm hoping to come out and join PCH Randos on the 4/27 running of the Pine Mtn 300k. While I'm there, I also hope to ride this Ridge Route Perm, which does go in the CW direction. I wanted to climb the RR and also enjoy the prevailing tailwinds from Pine Canyon to Lake Hughes.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44465561

-Mike

Brook Henderson

Oct 23, 2023, 6:19:35 PM10/23/23
to mikest...@cox.net, PCH Randos
Mike,

CA Hwy 33 was closed all year, and is still not open. There's no estimated time for reopening. And, we're expecting a wetter than average winter in SoCal. So, there's a fair chance the Pine Mountain 300k won't happen in 2024. I hope it happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

-Brook