Re: [PCH Randos] Wind Concern on JT2LV

Brook Henderson

Feb 28, 2024, 3:03:47 PMFeb 28
to dinh....@gmail.com, PCH Randos
Mitram,

I highly doubt Willie Hunt has any plans to cancel the event. I certainly hope not.

Yes, the forecast does include high winds. But, after the first 1/5 of the ride the winds are predominantly tailwinds.

Note that we had similar wind speeds in 2022, but cross/head direction. That was a tough day of cycling. ("Character building" is what Terri Boykins would call it.) I'm looking forward to Saturday's ride.

-Brook

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-28 at 11.50.53_c58d56d3.jpg

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 9:36 AM maitram giske <dinh....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello there,
Do we have a concern of high wind for this weekend?  The wind speed from JT through Vegas is constantly high at about 12 - 28MPH with gust wind between 45-50MPH.  When will we make decision to still ride or cancel? We would like to know before the 29th so we don't lose money on hotels too.

Best regards,

Maitram

jt2lv_wind.png

dtra...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2024, 3:12:05 PMFeb 28
to bro...@gmail.com, dinh....@gmail.com, PCH Randos

Look at that tailwind !! .  Nice !!.
Have a great ride everyone.

In 2018 (02/10/2018), we got 43 miles of brutal headwind heading toward Vegas.

Daniel

Kerin Huber

Feb 28, 2024, 3:30:31 PMFeb 28
to dtra...@gmail.com, bro...@gmail.com, dinh....@gmail.com, PCH Randos
There are no plans to cancel the ride.  It is often windy out in the desert, so this is not unusual or unexpected.
Each rider will have to decide for themselves if they feel comfortable with the conditions.  There is no shame in a DNS if you really don't want to do the ride.
Kerin

maitram giske

Feb 28, 2024, 4:11:36 PMFeb 28
to Kerin Huber, dtra...@gmail.com, bro...@gmail.com, PCH Randos
Okay great to hear. I’m on a smaller rider, so I feel the wind tossing me around no matter what direction but will try.

Thanks

Maitram
Sent from my iPhone

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 12:12 PM dtra...@gmail.com <dtra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Look at that tailwind !! .  Nice !!.
Have a great ride everyone.

In 2018 (02/10/2018), we got 43 miles of brutal headwind heading toward Vegas.

Daniel

Willie

Feb 28, 2024, 10:52:42 PMFeb 28
to PCH Randos
As already pointed out, the high winds seem to be mostly a tail wind, which will make the ride much easier.  You can see the hour by hour predictions at www.windy.com.  The one leg to the I-15 may be a headwind, but it's not that many miles.  And for anyone that finds the winds are too much too handle, you can drop always drop-out (DNF)   That is one reason we have SAG vehicles on this ride; you can always be picked up and shuttled forward, to the finish if needed.

I will be sending bulk Email to all the riders soon (likely tomorrow morning) with all sorts of details.

Willie

maitram giske

Mar 1, 2024, 10:51:19 PMMar 1
to Kerin Huber, dtra...@gmail.com, bro...@gmail.com, PCH Randos
Hi all,
 Aaron forgot his bib shorts and if you bring extra socks too that would be great. He wears a M or L.  If you can let me know will be much appreciated.

Anyone is still coming from OC can still bring a pair of bib shorts size M or L for Aaron.

Please call +1 (757) 642-8768 (Aaron’s number)
Thanks so much