Pine Mountain 300k is canceled for 2024

K T Huber

Mar 25, 2024, 9:23:46 PMMar 25
to PCH Randos
Hi PCH Randos,
It pains me to announce that the Pine Mountain 300k brevet scheduled for April 27th will not happen this year.  There are 5 sections of single lane traffic on the section of Highway 33 north of Ojai , controlled with automatic flag men.  Caltrans is enforcing a ban on bicyclists while the repairs go on, expected to last into the summer.  The main reason seems to be that having cyclists would lengthen the time interval of the automatic flag men, and they don't want to delay local traffic and Caltrans trucks with this. Boo!
If you want to read more, I dug up some posts and articles:

[And to make matters worse, the start/finish hotel called me today to say that they were canceling our reservation because the hotel is permanently closing.]

We will put this ride on the calendar for spring of 2025 and try again. One of these years it will work out.
There really is no equivalent mountain 300k in our library of brevet routes to substitute for the Pine Mountain route. And we don't have time to get a new route approved. I will schedule a climby 200k on that weekend- probably the Santa Monica Mountains 200k or the GMR 200k .
Kerin

Dennis Peterson

Mar 28, 2024, 8:54:34 PMMar 28
to kerin...@gmail.com, PCH Randos
Thanks Kerin. 2025 is gonna be our year!