Administrivia question: transitioning IRC from Freenode to Libera (or alternative)?

Mark A. Matienzo

May 26, 2021, 3:28:21 PM5/26/21
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As you may know, the Freenode IRC network has recently transitioned into hostile ownership leading to most of its staffers resigning [0], [1]. A couple of communities, including Code4Lib and Wikimedia [2], have transitioned to use Libera.chat [3], a new network set up by former Freenode staffers and backed by a Swedish nonprofit organization.

The PCDM readme refers to the #pcdm channel on Freenode, which is infrequently used. If IRC is still a need, are we willing to transition to another network (e.g. Libera)? Is Samvera Slack an adequate replacement?

Mark

--
Mark A. Matienzo
PO Box 80831

Esmé Cowles

May 26, 2021, 5:38:52 PM5/26/21
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Mark-

I would be fine with updating to reference the C4L Slack — I haven't personally used IRC in many years as the communities I'm engaged with gravitate there.

-Esmé

Justin Coyne

Jun 2, 2021, 11:15:51 AM6/2/21
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Esmé. I don't use IRC at all. Slack on code4lib is the best place for now.

-Justin

Mark A. Matienzo

Jun 3, 2021, 3:28:12 PM6/3/21
to pc...@googlegroups.com