METS to LDP/PCDM

Vicky Phillips

Jul 6, 2022, 8:26:47 AM7/6/22
to PCDM
Hello,

We're currently on version 3.8 of Fedora and use METS for managing objects, with IIIF manifests and Universal Viewer for display purposes.  In 2019 we started looking at mapping our METS objects to LDP and PCDM.  Esmé Cowles kindly pointed me in the right direction regarding replicating METS structMaps both physical and logical following my query on GitHub.  As a result I came up with the following diagram (see attachment) to demonstrate how we'd replicate our METS and in particular the logical structmap in LDP and PCDM.  I would be grateful if people within this group would take a look at this to make sure that I've covered everything here and that it's correct, or whether changes are needed.  If we want to retain both physical and logical structMaps from the METS then I believe I just need to replicate what's within the blue box within the diagram (which represents the logical structMap) for the physical structMap too, right?

We are in the process of planning to migrate to Fedora 6.x in earnest now, and moving away from METS to LDP and PCDM. As it's been almost 3 years since my original question I'm wondering if others have made the change from METS to LDP and PCDM during this time?  If so

  • Do you have any documents/diagrams you would be willing to share?
  • Have you retained both physical and logical structMaps using 2 orderProxies or just single orderProy for logical strucMap? Or to those who have not made METS to LDP/PCDM switch but are currently working with LDP and PCDM do you have one or two orderProxies?
  • Any guidance/lessons learnt from making the change from METS to LDP/PCDM?
  • Anything we should consider in relation to PCDM and IIIF?  We're aware of a couple of tools for IIIF manifest generation (https://github.com/umd-lib/pcdm-manifests and https://github.com/TAMULib/IRIIIFService) and will be taking a look at these to see if we should be doing things in a particular way in order to benefit from these tools rather than reinventing the wheel.

Any feedback, guidance etc. would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Vicky
Digital Standards Manager, The National Library of Wales
PCDM_AlternateOrder_v2.docx