Seeking feedback on addition to File Use ontology: MetadataFile

David Chandek-Stark

Feb 17, 2022, 12:11:17 PM2/17/22
to PCDM
[Apologies if this has been previously discussed with resolution.]

I've been mapping our file usage onto the File Use ontology and found one gap, which is the use for a file that contains technical or structural (or I suppose descriptive) metadata.

For example, a FITS XML output file doesn't seem to fit in the scheme.  I wonder if the addition of a term like "MetadataFile" could garner a consensus (up or down)?

Thanks,
David Chandek-Stark
Duke University Libraries

west...@umd.edu

Feb 27, 2022, 3:33:56 PM2/27/22
to PCDM
Hi David,

I have no idea how viable it is to add things to PCDM at this point, but for what it is worth, we would also find more having pcdm:use options helpful. In the absence of a community solution, we'll likely extend PCDM locally to give us more granular file description options.

Josh Westgard
University of Maryland College Park

Esmé Cowles

Mar 1, 2022, 8:07:16 AM3/1/22
to pc...@googlegroups.com
I think it's fine to add new terms to the PCDM Use vocab if people would find that helpful. MetadataFile seems like a good addition and I'm a little surprised we didn't have that come up in the first round, because I know we talked quite a bit about how to handle metadata files and link them in various ways.

If either of you want to put in a PR, I'd be happy to review.

-Esmé