Question about descriptive metadata and PCDM

Michael Bolton

Jun 1, 2017, 1:43:47 PM6/1/17
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Andrew suggested I ask my question in this forum.  I hope I'm in the right place.

I have been reading about the Portland Common Data Model and Fedora 4 and now have a sandbox where I am trying it out.  I read the *LDP-PCDM-F4 in Action*  page in the wiki and noted a remark about where descriptive metadata should and should not be stored.  In particular, I saw a comment that descriptive metadata should not be in DirectContainers.  Before I get too far down this path, is there a best practice on where I should store technical and descriptive metadata for photos and images?  I am looking to create an image collection in F4 and use it in several applications and I would like to enter metadata once.

Thanks
Michael W. Bolton  |  Assistant Dean, Digital Initiatives
Sterling C. Evans Library  |  Texas A&M University
5000 TAMU  |  College Station, TX  77843-5000

Esmé Cowles

Jun 1, 2017, 2:08:11 PM6/1/17
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Michael-

Yes, you're absolutely in the right place.

For the technical metadata, you can add it to the binary description attached to each file. You might want to use properties form EBUCore[1] or EXIF[2] for that. If you have XML or other metadata files with technical metadata, you could add them as files and link them to the binary they describe with iana:describes (<http://www.iana.org/assignments/relation/describes>).

For descriptive metadata, you can attach properties to your PCDM Objects using, e.g., Dublin Core[3], or any number of ontologies.

So you might wind up with something like (omitting the LDP triples for brevity):

<http://localhost:8080/rest/obj1> a pcdm:Object ;
pcdm:hasFile <http://localhost:8080/rest/obj1/files/file1> ;
dc:title "Title Here" .

<http://localhost:8080/rest/obj1/files/file1> a pcdm:File ;
ebucore:height "3024" ;
ebucore:width "4032" .

Of course there are many, many more ontologies and controlled vocabularies you might want to use, depending on what your use cases and what your metadata looks like. But I hope this is helpful.

-Esmé

1. http://www.ebu.ch/metadata/ontologies/ebucore/ebucore#
2. http://www.w3.org/2003/12/exif/ns#
3. http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/

Daniel Lamb

Jun 1, 2017, 2:15:59 PM6/1/17
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Michael,

PCDM prescribes descriptive metadata to be on pcdm:Objects and technical metadata for binaries be on pcdm:Files.  There's no restrictions based on LDP constructs.  So you can put your descriptive metadata on any type of container so long as it has an rdf:type of pcdm:Object.

HTH

~Danny

Michael Bolton

Jun 1, 2017, 3:24:26 PM6/1/17
to PCDM
Outstanding.  Thanks for the replies.  And I am still learning my terminology.

Esmé,

I appreciate the information on the ontologies.  I have been working with EXIF and XMP (IPTC-core) in Paintshop and Photoshop and I wanted to add that metadata to the image files.

And as Daniel pointed out, it makes perfect sense the technical metadata (EXIF data) would be at the file level.  I added that by updating the object

    .../fcrepo/rest/mwbObjects/Photos/Images/photo2/files/image_0002.jpg/fcr:metadata

I hope that was the right place.  It worked and shows up when I display that object.

In my model from above,
  • "photo2" is a ldp:Container (pcdm:Objects)
  • "files" is a ldp:DirectContainer (pcdm:Objects)  that contains "image_0002.jpg"
  • and I added the technical metadata to the JPG by appending the "/fcr:metadata"
So, I gather my descriptive metadata would best be added to the "photo2" object.  I hope I am not being dense here but I think I am close to understanding this.

Again, thanks for the comments.   They really help.

Esmé Cowles

Jun 2, 2017, 8:59:57 AM6/2/17
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Michael-

Yes, that all sounds correct to me — since photo2 is a pcdm:Object, that's the place to attach descriptive metadata properties.

-Esmé

Michael Bolton

Jun 2, 2017, 9:31:37 AM6/2/17
to PCDM
Esmé,

I would like to go back to something you said earlier, that is, if I have an XML file I can link that to the JPG via an iana:describes.  That sounds interesting.  I would add the file to the same container as the binary and then add the RDF that would link the two files.  In that case, I would need to read and process two objects to get the binary and all the metadata. And of course I could still add metadata to the file just as I am doing now.

Thank you for your help.  I think I am ready to start building my collection.

Andrew Woods

Jun 2, 2017, 3:20:37 PM6/2/17
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Hello Esmé,

Thanks for your recommendations here.

I was looking into the iana:describes / iana:describedby pattern for associating other repository resources as you detailed, and as mentioned in the PCDM wiki:
https://github.com/duraspace/pcdm/wiki/Related-Files

Do you happen to be aware of a workaround for the fact that those two predicates (describes/describedby) are "server managed" and prohibited to update in Fedora: