PreservationMasterFile

Esmé Cowles

Apr 12, 2021, 8:14:14 AM4/12/21
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Bethany Seeger recently contacted me to ask about removing the word "master" from PreservationMasterFile in the PCDM Use ontology. I've opened a PR to deprecate that term and add PreservationFile to replace it. The PR's been approved and is on track to be merged on 4/17:

Please speak up here or on the PR if you have comments, or if this would pose any problems for your use of the ontology.

Given how little change there has been in these ontologies recently, I propose we leave the deprecated term in the ontology for a year, and remove it after that.

-Esmé

epo...@emory.edu

Apr 13, 2021, 9:28:14 AM4/13/21
to PCDM
Hi Esmé,

I'm glad to see that this change is being discussed and I hope it is due to the same concern we here at Emory share about harmful language. Just wanted to note we have a Hyrax based application which includes expanded FileSets to support different file uses (including PreservationMasterFile), and so we do have functionality related to the existing term/URI. We'll keep an eye on that ticket.

Thanks everyone for posting the heads up.

Best,
Emily Porter