Collections in Action - Elements in the basicContainer

Michael Bolton

Jul 6, 2017, 12:56:55 PM7/6/17
to PCDM
Hello All,

I have been using the LDP-PCDM-F4 in Action wiki page as a guide to create a photo collection.  It seems everything is working and I have added a number of images to the collection.  I do have a question about the base level container though.

From what I read in the guide, I created a top-level BasicContainer called mwbCollections.  Beneath that I created a couple of collections, campusMorning and shiftingFrontiers.  I am including a listing of the properties for mwbCollections below.   I see an ldp:contains for both of my collections.  Should there also be a hasMember element for each collection as well?

fedora: created
2017-05-30T22:12:06.892Z

fedora: createdBy
bypassAdmin

fedora: hasParent

fedora: lastModified
2017-06-07T19:57:05.305Z

fedora: lastModifiedBy
bypassAdmin

fedora: writable
true

ldp: contains

rdf: type

Thanks,

Mike Bolton

Daniel Lamb

Jul 6, 2017, 1:00:17 PM7/6/17
to pc...@googlegroups.com

Hi Michael,

Yes, your collections should use the hasMember relationship to denote membership.  While containment could be used to manage that relationship, using an LDP (or Fedora, even) server is not a requirement to use PCDM.

~Danny

Andrew Woods

Jul 6, 2017, 1:22:30 PM7/6/17
to pc...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael,
The "pcdm:hasMember" relationship is created in those examples with the use of indirect containers. If after working through the "Collection" [1] exercises, you are not seeing that relationship, something is wrong in the example or was maybe skipped.

I will also note that although the "LDP-PCDM-F4 In Action" [2] tutorial presents specific nested structures with non-opaque resource names, these are primarily used so that the examples are reproducible and easy to read. Since these structures and names are reflected in the URLs of resources, you will likely want to create a flatter structure with opaque resource names for production.

I am basically reiterating the notice at the beginning of that tutorial:
"""
Due to the evolution of usage patterns for PCDM (particularly as they relate to Fedora), the structure of resources described in this guide is not necessarily the recommended structure.
However, the details and examples of how to use LDP Direct and Indirect Containers are still very informative in understanding how those constructs work.
"""

Regards,
Andrew

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/pcdm.

Michael Bolton

Jul 6, 2017, 2:19:35 PM7/6/17
to PCDM
Andrew and Daniel,

Thanks for the follow-ups.

Andrew, I do understand the note at the beginning of the tutorial and I appreciate that.  The tutorial was a great learning experience and i certainly learned a lot along the way.  In the Collections section of the guide, the first operation was to create a top-level "collections";

   curl -i -XPUT -H"Content-Type: text/turtle" --data-binary @pcdm-object.ttl localhost:8080/fcrepo/rest/collections/

which created a pcdm:Object - a BasicContainer.   Then the "poe" collection was created followed by the creation of the ldp:IndirectContainer.  The nested "collection" container looks good, as far as I can tell.  It has the hasMember just as I would expect (see below).  I just wasn't sure about that top-level container.  And I do see what you mean about creating a flatter structure.  I probably don't need that top-level structure at all.  I believe that is what I will do with my next collection.  Again, thanks for the assistance.

dc: creator
Michael W. Bolton
dc: description
Collection of early morning photos of campus
dc: rights
Public Domain or CC Something
dc: title
Campus Photos Collection