about example TcpReassembly

mars zhang

Apr 9, 2020, 7:07:07 AM4/9/20
to PcapPlusPlus support
Hi
TcpReassembly.h said
 * - If the missing data doesn't arrive until a new message from the other side of the connection arrives or until the connection ends - this will be considered as missing data and the
 *   queued data will be sent to the user, but the string "[X bytes missing]" will be added to the message sent in the callback

why so many [X bytes missing] packets?  My network is very good。How to avoid that?

PcapPlusPlus Support

Apr 10, 2020, 2:01:43 AM4/10/20
to mars zhang, PcapPlusPlus support
Hi Mars,

It's hard to say exactly why you're getting so many of these messages without seeing a pcap example, but I'm guessing packets do get lost.
Please keep in mind that they are not lost in the network connection itself, but rather in the packet capture engine.
For example: if the network speed is too high, the packet capture engine (e.g libpcap/WinPcap/Npcap) might lose some of these packets, and your application may result in missing data.
Please let me know if that helps in any way.

Thanks,
PcapPlusPlus maintainer

Dk Jack

Apr 10, 2020, 2:35:35 AM4/10/20
to PcapPlusPlus support
Depends on how the capture is happening? If the capture is happening on a sending or a receiving or an in between inline system, then this will not be a problem. However, if the capture happens using a span port (i.e. port mirroring etc), then you may run into issues even your network is good. Passive capture devices like network taps will not have these problems. See the following link

mars zhang

Apr 10, 2020, 3:41:06 AM4/10/20
to PcapPlusPlus support
Hi

Yes, you are right. they are not lost in the network connection itself, but rather in the packet capture engine.  any suggestion to avoid that ? or can't be solved?

Thank.
MarsZhang

Dk Jack

Apr 10, 2020, 3:52:19 AM4/10/20
to PcapPlusPlus support
as I mentioned, for passive capture, the two choices are span port (port mirroring) or a network tap device. Span ports are cheap but come with problems. They'll work if the traffic volumes are low. Even then they are susceptible to introducing packet reordering. I've seen request/responses packets get re-ordered even when I was manually making curl requests and capturing. Besides using a tap device, the choices are limited.

PcapPlusPlus Support

Apr 11, 2020, 3:43:37 AM4/11/20
to Dk Jack, PcapPlusPlus support
For capturing high volume network traffic you can consider using frameworks like DPDK or PF_RING.
PcapPlusPlus supports both.

Thanks,
PcapPlusPlus maintainer

mars zhang

Apr 13, 2020, 2:02:38 AM4/13/20
to PcapPlusPlus support
Hi
May I use PcapPlusPlus with DPDK under windows?     (https://www.dpdk.org/blog/2019/07/15/dpdk-releases-v19-05-introduces-windows-support/ )

在 2020年4月11日星期六 UTC+8下午3:43:37,PcapPlusPlus Support写道:

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 4:07:07 AM UTC-7, mars zhang wrote:
Hi
TcpReassembly.h said
 * - If the missing data doesn't arrive until a new message from the other side of the connection arrives or until the connection ends - this will be considered as missing data and the
 *   queued data will be sent to the user, but the string "[X bytes missing]" will be added to the message sent in the callback

why so many [X bytes missing] packets?  My network is very good。How to avoid that?

PcapPlusPlus Support

Apr 13, 2020, 2:35:32 AM4/13/20
to mars zhang, PcapPlusPlus support
Unfortunately I haven't tried DPDK on Windows and I don't know if PcapPlusPlus would support it. You're welcome to try and let me know :)

Thanks,
PcapPlusPlus maintainer