Some news about the 4th edition

Matt Pharr

Dec 22, 2022, 1:38:48 PM12/22/22
to pb...@googlegroups.com
I’m happy to report that the book’s final pages are in the hands of the printer and we have a solid publication date of March 28 next year. The book is now available for preorder at all the usual places. The full contents of the 4th edition will be available online, for free, on November 1, 2023.

In the meantime, PDFs of the two chapters on volumetric light transport are now available for download—Chapter 11, Volume Scattering, and Chapter 14, Light Transport II: Volume Rendering. These are more or less fully rewritten and state-of-the art, covering all the latest in null scattering.

We have also licensed two fun new scenes that are now checked in to the pbrt-v4-scenes repository, one of which can be seen on the cover image, below.

(Here’s a blog post that more or less covers the above, with a few more details and more example images.)

Happy rendering!

Matt, Wenzel, and Greg

Physically Based Rendering Book Cover