Question about realistic camera

jan...@google.com

Aug 21, 2023, 10:00:18 AM8/21/23
to pbrt
Hi,

I played with realistic camera quite a while ago. Lately I'm curious can realistic camera take in lens parameters that belong to aspheric lenses and simulate lens systems that are asymmetrical around optical axis? I skimmed the PBRT book and it seems that in the book it assumes spherical lenses and symmetrical system. Thanks!

Matt Pharr

Sep 3, 2023, 7:47:20 AM9/3/23
to pb...@googlegroups.com
On Aug 20, 2023, at 8:37 AM, 'jan...@google.com' via pbrt <pb...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> I played with realistic camera quite a while ago. Lately I'm curious can realistic camera take in lens parameters that belong to aspheric lenses and simulate lens systems that are asymmetrical around optical axis? I skimmed the PBRT book and it seems that in the book it assumes spherical lenses and symmetrical system. Thanks!

pbrt does indeed make both of those assumptions. Generalizing them is left as a (probably fun!) exercise for the reader—the code for tracing rays through the lens system isn’t too complicated..

Thanks,
Matt