Disney BRDF -- Transmissive Materials

Joel

Jan 20, 2021, 8:31:42 PM1/20/21
to pbrt

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the pbrt v3 implementation of the Disney BRDF, specifically how it deals with 100% transmissible objects.

It seems that the MicrofacetReflection lobe is added and sampled regardless of what specTrans is set to. I'm struggling to understand how this works when specTrans is set to 1.

From what I can understand from the implementation, the sampled lobes are chosen with an equal probability and then the PDFs are summed up and divided by the total number of lobes that can be sampled for this material. However, if you had an object that had specTrans set to 1, would you still want to be sampling the reflection lobe?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks