Fwd: Old walkway across 295

Zack Barowitz

Sep 6, 2022, 8:38:34 PM9/6/22
to Portland Bicycle-Pedestrian Advisory Committee

Another access point to the B&M sight…

Sep 6, 2022, 10:39:21 PM9/6/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Zack!

He said "photos" but only one came through.  Does he have more?

Reactions:

1.) You can almost taste and smell the leaded gasoline!

2.) Amazing the beautiful NEON signage lasted until at least the mid-1980s.  The ROUX Institute would get a LOT of goodwill if they would bring back that NEON.  Here is the old sign auditioning for a part in a classic film noir scene:  "Burnham and Morrill, ca.1960" (portlandlibrary.com)

3.)  This overpass is pre-ADA and probably pre-a lot of standards that would make it hard and costly to re-build today including suicide prevention.  No surprise that ROUX is spending energy going UNDER and not OVER.

Scsmedia

Sep 6, 2022, 11:39:55 PM9/6/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
10 plus years ago a pedestrian walkway across Franklin Street at Marginal Way was pegged at a million plus.  There were also logistical issues not resolved in the concept.

A pedestrian overpass over Tukey's would be a lot more expensive and in my opinion would be as impracticable as one over Franklin Arterial.

I would suggest we should put this in the category of It ain't going to happen and move on.

Steven Scharf