Bike lane design and other users

John Brooking

Nov 26, 2022, 10:47:42 AM11/26/22
to pb...@googlegroups.com
The complaint states that newly constructed bicycle lanes create barriers to safe, accessible on-street parking, curb ramps and pedestrian crossings for people with mobility disabilities, including those who use wheelchairs and walkers.

Disabilities organizations, individuals sue DC over new bike lane designs

John Brooking
Cyclist, Cycling Educator, Technologist

Scsmedia

Nov 26, 2022, 1:15:59 PM11/26/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
I brother has been hanging out on 17th Street, NW for about the last 40 years.  It has very wide sidewalks in this section of 17th Street.

I noticed the article referenced a Dupont East Civic Action Association which appeared by name to be a local do good neighborhood association.  Their  website portrays otherwise.

KEEPDUPONTGREEN.ORG

Besides the lawsuit, they are calling for bike registration.  And there appears to be a Brooklyn anti bike lane organization.

A Resolution on Urban Safe Streets
Developed at the Brooklyn-DC Bike Safety Conference of Aug. 15, 2022
(Recorded on YouTube channel Dupont East Civic Action Association)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZOYnhb9bao
In the interest of safety for all users of urban streets, we support the following:
Use of bikes in urban traffic be regulated; Cyclists obey traffic regulations and traffic regulations be enforced. We call for:
Formal education and training on how to use a bike on city streets and bike certification,
A requirement to wear helmets,
Registration of bikes used in city traffic and licensing of cyclists,
      A requirement for bike insurance, as the insurance industry is skilled at collecting data and assessing liability,
       A Requirement that cyclists carry their bike registration, license and insurance card, just as drivers do.
equirements for renting bikes/scooters should be similar to car rental – including insurance”

It is clearly an anti development organization.

Steven Scharf