The Car Reduction Therapy Experience / Thurs, Aug 4th @ 5:30pm - E-Bike Cafe in SoPo

1 view

Dave Cohen

Aug 2, 2022, 3:46:16 PM8/2/22
to Portland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
HI all,

Hope some of you can come to this and pass the word on...
----
The Car Reduction Therapy Experience
How the bike design & technology revolution is challenging a joyless car culture

Thursday, August 4th @ 5:30pm
Lincoln & Main E-Bike Cafe & Winery
93 Main St in South Portland

Recently, bicycle innovations have come at a breathtaking pace, propelling the bike globally into a remarkable and timely transportation solution. Come learn about the stunning present-day advances, such as e-assist technologies and the reboot of the cargo bike, that are enabling us to move on bikes like never before. We'll also consider why this is more than just a technology revolution, but also an opportunity for us to embrace a far more sensible relationship to the ecological and social worlds we inhabit.

Additionally, we'll probe the deeper psychological and environmental implications of the automobile and its role in our lives. Whatever its fuel source, the car is intertwined with driving us to further abandon our fundamental kinship and responsibility to the world, while also profoundly constricting our ability to authentically respond to climate change.

Join in discovering the deeper significance of the amazing evolution of the bike, how more of us can come on board in the greater Portland area, and the ways we can joyfully challenge and truly inspire our communities in the greater Portland area.

Presenter bio

Dave Cohen works as a consultant for the Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) giving free bike consultations for all Vermont residents. He also provides expert advice on e-bikes, e-cargo bikes and a wide range of micro-mobility options to the state and to Vermont municipalities, organizations and bike shops. In addition, he is the founder and director of VBike (vbikesolutions.org), a non-profit organization that promotes new bike design & technologies for everyday bicycle transportation in Vermont. In the mid-1990’s, Dave founded Pedal Express, a delivery service in Berkeley, CA utilizing a fleet of cargo bikes. The company gained national recognition for its innovative partnerships. When not on a bike, Dave is an integrative psychotherapist (davecohencounseling.com) specializing in approaches in mind/body modalities & ecopsychology. He and his family recently relocated from Brattleboro, VT to South Portland, ME.

Car Reduction Therapy.jpg
Car Reduction Presentation Aug 2022.pdf