Recommendation to Portland City Council

George Rheault

May 27, 2022, 3:30:19 PM5/27/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com

John Brooking

May 28, 2022, 1:27:14 PM5/28/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
I wonder what the fiscal implications would be if we just instituted a higher registration fee for all cars and eliminated the gas tax. Although there does seem to be a certain fairness to the gas tax in that people pay in proportion to how much they drive (and therefore emit carbon emissions). But I don't know how hybrid and EV owners would be charged a similar tax for their electricity. I'm sure someone who knows more about tax policy than I do would have some thoughts.

I guess it also depends on if we view the purpose of the gas tax as solely road maintenance funding, or also as a disincentive to drive fully carbon-fueled vehicles.

John Brooking
Cyclist, Cycling Educator, Technologist

Scsmedia

May 28, 2022, 3:24:16 PM5/28/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
The first thing I would see in this is more cars being registered out of state.

Maine's gas tax is in the middle of all gas taxes by state at $ .30 per gallon.  I cannot find a breakdown on the fuel tax (Aeronautical fuel tax was listed separately in the report I finally found) on the state's website, but the total budgeted for the fiscal year is $224,703,184 million. The state has 1,330,399 registered vehicles but they are in diverse categories so not all registrants pay the same amount.

Steven Scharf

PS: in my research, I found out that The District of Columbia has the highest Jet Fuel tax.  They have no airports in DC.