MDOT nonsense

Nathan Miller

Jun 28, 2022, 2:17:24 PM6/28/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Anybody else see this MDOT bullshit? Great messaging: speeding is bad, but not speeding is also bad.
image0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

Nick Kaufmann

Jun 28, 2022, 2:33:09 PM6/28/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
maxresdefault.jpg
won't somebody please think of the FLOW?

Nick Kaufmann
Be Just & Fear Not

Zack Barowitz

Jun 28, 2022, 2:34:58 PM6/28/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Wow. I mean roads are engineered to a minimum speed to keep cars from flipping over but the road rage missive is a outrageous.

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 2:17 PM Nathan Miller <nmil...@msn.com> wrote:
917-696-5649
ZacharyBarowitz.com

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and confidential,
and only intended for the addressee. Should you receive this message by
mistake, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Please inform
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Stephen Houdlette

Jun 28, 2022, 2:37:16 PM6/28/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps a derail (sorry), but someone was shot and killed yesterday in GA for putting too much mayo on a sandwich. This from MEDOT is baffling, yes, but that this sentiment makes it into public consumption at all hints at a deeper pathology that is increasingly present in drivers. This has consequences for transportation policy and...'other' policy.

John Clark

Jun 28, 2022, 2:59:38 PM6/28/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
America's concept of the "speed limit" is baffling... I still don't understand how it became so normalized to drive above a legal limit, and how the MaineDOT is now saying not to drive under it or you'll be at fault for making people mad and causing road rage. I'm disappointed but not surprised that they'd put something like this out.

--
John Clark (he | him | his)
Chair, Portland Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee

George Rheault

Jun 28, 2022, 3:18:28 PM6/28/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
MDOT is just repeating the gospel:  "Maine law also says you must not drive so slowly that you interfere with the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except where reduced speed is necessary for safety."

See pages 81-82 of this: motoristhandbook.pdf (maine.gov)

Zack Barowitz

Jun 29, 2022, 7:35:56 AM6/29/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
They also single out people from away as likely to be confused:

“ People who may be confused. A person who is confused is very likely to make a move without looking. People who may be confused include:
• Tourists, often at complicated intersections.”

Jim Tasse

Jul 6, 2022, 8:50:42 AM7/6/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
BCM saw that post and we sent a note to the commissioner and a few other folks, and the post was removed and a clarification issued the next day. We pointed
out that the post suggested that speed limits should be treated as minimum speeds.

Worst possible messaging.

Director, Maine Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Education Program
Past President, Greater Portland Chapter, New England Mountain Bike Association

Support better walking and biking in Maine, donate today!

Emilie Swenson

Jul 6, 2022, 8:56:25 AM7/6/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your advocacy on this! Really terrible messaging. Glad they removed it.