Sable Oaks Ride Monday July 4th

Zack Barowitz

Jul 2, 2022, 5:21:27 PM7/2/22
to Portland Bicycle-Pedestrian Advisory Committee
Would anyone be interested in. Ride to and around the Sable Oaks Golf Course this Monday July 4th? The course has many paved paths so any bike would be worthy but there is also off-road possibilities by riding over the hills and dales of the course.
I’m not sure of the policy benefits of this ride but there might be some.
10 am start?
Zack
--
917-696-5649
ZacharyBarowitz.com

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and confidential,
and only intended for the addressee. Should you receive this message by
mistake, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Please inform
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Winston Lumpkins

Jul 3, 2022, 7:53:57 PM7/3/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
I don't have to be at work till Noon, so, I think I could join if you're still going!

Perhaps meet at the Veterans Memorial Bridge?

I heard something on Twitter about a bike lane of some kind being put in on one of the roads near there...

https://twitter.com/Rep_Morales/status/1534217031293276160
It could be finished by now, so we could check that out too.
~Winston

Zack Barowitz

Jul 3, 2022, 8:07:25 PM7/3/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
OK. 9:30 at the intersection of the   Fore River Parkway & Veterans Bridge.
It will make for an intrepid start to the day!

Scsmedia

Jul 3, 2022, 9:35:11 PM7/3/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
It is still in progress. I did not know they were putting in a bike lane there at Westbrook Street. It is going to dump out into a busy intersection. Just the other day I noticed that the sidewalk seems to go no where at the corner of Westbrook and Broadway.

John Brooking

Jul 3, 2022, 10:49:30 PM7/3/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Wider tires recommended. This former golf course is along my every day commute; I’ve watched it over the years. The land was sold to a developer a few years ago, and the paths are getting pretty cracked and overgrown. Worse, a lot of logging was done last winter (!), and some of the path near the private gated through road is now covered in mud and branches.

Bonus if you find the abandoned car!

A friend and I are riding from Westbrook to OOB and back tomorrow, leaving around 8:30 or 9:00. We may pass near there. Text me at 207-831-2735 if you want to join us.

--
John Brooking
Cyclist, Cycling Educator, Technologist

Christian MilNeil

Jul 4, 2022, 1:43:18 PM7/4/22
to Portland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
FYI, Tom Watson is proposing a significant new rental housing development just north of Sable Oaks, on the site of the trailer park on Spring Street. Annoyingly, Westbrook does not post planning board materials on its website, but this story has a blurry screenshot of the site plan:https://www.pressherald.com/2022/06/08/westbrook-planning-board-likes-spring-street-apartment-project/

Looks like they're planning a multi-use path around the perimeter, along the edge of the abandoned golf course, but it's not clear whether it would connect to any of the nearby streets. If it did, this could be a nice bike/pedestrian shortcut between outer Congress Street and Cummings Road, where METRO's route 3 runs. I think IDEXX owns the office building abutting the project to the north – maybe Portland Trails could negotiate a trail easement along the edge of their parking lot for a connection to Thomas Drive?

Zack Barowitz

Jul 5, 2022, 10:11:35 PM7/5/22
to Portland Bicycle-Pedestrian Advisory Committee
Winston and I rode to Sable Oaks which had been (mistakenly?) maintained as a sort of ghost of a golf course  (ghost course?) but is now much grown over and is in the process of re-wilding before being redeveloped (pre-wilding?). By my calculations, the greens of the course could accommodate about 20,000 medium to high-rise housing units (plus ancillary uses like schools, shops, roads, public works, etc. However, with the cutting down of large swatches of forest (oaks?) I estimate an additional 8-12 thousand units can be built on the site. With all that expected tax revenue I think a (relatively?) modest TIF might be in order to improve the sub-standard bicycle facilities necessary to access the site by bicycle or–heavan forbid–by foot.
Zack