Bike Share Update (this one for real!)

George Rheault

Aug 5, 2022, 7:55:19 AM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
See attached.  Note high program expenses and also fees (but also monthly membership option).

Would be interesting to know what the business plan requires for monthly memberships.  If for example lots of people sign up for a monthly membership even if they will seldom use the bikes, will that help sustain (or even grow) the program?
PPH Article - 08-05-2022 Bike Share Almost Ready to Roll.pdf

John Clark

Aug 5, 2022, 9:09:48 AM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
They've also posted a map of the station locations they'll be starting out with on their website: https://www.tandem-mobility.com/portland

Sadly none off-peninsula yet (especially bummed about no Thompson's Point) but hopefully more will come soon.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022, 7:55 AM George Rheault <george....@gmail.com> wrote:
See attached.  Note high program expenses and also fees (but also monthly membership option).

Would be interesting to know what the business plan requires for monthly memberships.  If for example lots of people sign up for a monthly membership even if they will seldom use the bikes, will that help sustain (or even grow) the program?

Nick Kaufmann

Aug 5, 2022, 11:01:41 AM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Thompson's point / Amtrak and Danforth street / St John's or valley st would be great

Christopher Parelius

Aug 5, 2022, 12:19:46 PM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I'm suprised there isn't one at the PTC. I feel like that would be an important location that would capture lots of bus or train passengers.
It's interesting that there are both E-  and regular bikes as part of their offering. Iirc Boston's and Citi Bike in NYC are just normal bikes.
John was it mentioned at the Roux Walk if bikeshare was a possibility? I can't remember if the bikeshare was mentioned there or the PACTS Meeting earlier.
-Chris P.

Nathan Miller

Aug 5, 2022, 12:26:27 PM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
I would have liked to see a station AT the Metro Hub (rather than near) to encourage "last mile" options for commuters. Also I'm pretty sure USM reps told me they were putting up money for the bikeshare in order to get on campus stations... so hopefully that's a sign of more stations to come.

Nate

Aug 5, 2022, 12:44:14 PM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Citi bike (and many other bike share programs) now offer e-bikes as well as regular. They're Class 1, so no throttle.

I don't believe Bike Share was mentioned at the Roux walk, but the initial news discussed having 50+ stations, so I'm sure there's more to come, and Roux would most likely have multiple, as college campuses are popular places for bike share.

Christopher Parelius

Aug 5, 2022, 12:49:12 PM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Oh cool I didn't know that! The last time I used Citi bike was before the Pandemic. My recent experience was with Blu Bikes in Boston.

When I was at PACTS there was some discussion about a unified fare system and they mentioned a couple of cities were bikeshare was included in the fare card system. It would be really cool if you could use Umo or a tap card as a payment method.

-Chris P

George Rheault

Aug 5, 2022, 1:21:58 PM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
I am speculating, but I am pretty sure the bikeshare vendor assumed most PTC travelers would be arriving/departing by some form of automobile because of baggage burdens.  If we know of a sizable cohort of daily commuters with only backpacks to carry that would use PTC bike share options, we should find those people and get them to speak up.  Otherwise, I think it is reasonable for it to be left out of the Phase One start-up.

Also, Thompson's Point service would scare me as a vendor since it is very feast and famine.  On concert days most of the system's bikes might end up over there, depriving other users and putting a big burden on the system (that still might happen whether or not there is an official location there).

The children's museum and food scene over there may provide more regular traffic but I can't imagine the vendor has not knocked on their doors and had discussions.   Ideally those places SHOULD be asking their visitors this season whether a bikeshare option would be useful to them as a way to gauge further investment there.  There is also a conflict too with the operator of Thompson's Point - they get less parking revenue every time someone rides a bike there!  I am sure parking revenue is a good portion of Thompson's Point cash flow right now since its build-out remains a plodding affair.

Zack Barowitz

Aug 5, 2022, 1:56:27 PM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
I wonder how they came to all these decisions.

--
917-696-5649
ZacharyBarowitz.com

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and confidential,
and only intended for the addressee. Should you receive this message by
mistake, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Please inform
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Winston Lumpkins

Aug 5, 2022, 2:04:56 PM8/5/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
As someone who never travels with more than a backpack, that's the one time I would use a bikeshare- I never want to ride my own bike to the Transportation center, because I don't really trust that it'll be there when I get back, so if I could grap one on the east end and dock it there it would be awesome.

Aside from that, I'll probably never use one- prefer my own weird bikes too much ;).

I think with the rise of travel blogging & micro packing, I'm probably not alone.  I never travel with anything I wouldn't want to walk 5 miles with... Or ride a rental bike with.

Lucas Ankhartz

Aug 5, 2022, 4:14:32 PM8/5/22
to Portland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
Having an easy to use rental/drop off spot would be a game changer. The bus doesn't come enough for it to make sense to commute from downtown Portland to Biddeford/Saco.