How To Track Down A Stolen Bike?

7 vues

Lucas Ankhartz

non lue,
14 juin 2022, 19:43:4314/06/2022
à pb...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I am trying to track down a stolen bike (2nd one in a little more than 2 years from the same place) and trying to be a lot more proactive about this one than the last.

Does anyone have any tips on doing so?

I have taken these actions so far:
- contacted and emailed the Portland PD (mar...@portlandmaine.gov) with the bike details
- contacted the management company in charge of the bike lot where it was stored
- posted on Twitter
- contacted the owner of the building
- reached out to handful residents who might have seen something
- scoured today's bike postings on Craigslist

It's a 2 year old black and orange Giant Roam that's a little squeaky because of recent outside storage. I used it as my means of travel and now my mobility is squashed.

Two bikes in two years from the same place makes it very unlikely I'll get another decent bike, let alone something that can replace our car while living where we do. It's a real shame because I want to be a vanguard in living a car-free/ very car light lifestyle.

Thanks,

Lucas

Nathan Miller

non lue,
14 juin 2022, 20:00:5314/06/2022
à PB...@googlegroups.com
Storage and theft are two good selling points for a functional bike share system. Hope we get that trial going soon.

Nate

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 14, 2022, at 7:43 PM, Lucas Ankhartz <lucas.b....@gmail.com> wrote:

Zack Barowitz

non lue,
14 juin 2022, 20:20:0414/06/2022
à PB...@googlegroups.com
Place a add on CL with the bike saying that it is stolen. Ditto fb.

Contact the pawnshops

They often turn up.

--
917-696-5649
ZacharyBarowitz.com

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and confidential,
and only intended for the addressee. Should you receive this message by
mistake, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or use of this message is strictly prohibited. Please inform
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Angela King

non lue,
15 juin 2022, 06:20:5815/06/2022
à PB...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Lucas,

So sorry that you've experienced another bike theft...
Getting the word out, as you are doing, is important, so also contact bike shops that sell used bikes.
Three that come to mind in Portland are Port City BikesGorham Bike&Ski, and  Portland Gear Hub

Do you have a photo of the bike? If you do, posting/ putting that out there, even sharing with this group, can be helpful too.

--

George Rheault

non lue,
16 juin 2022, 14:01:1916/06/2022
à PB...@googlegroups.com

City likes to tout when there is a happy ending and deservedly so when law enforcement is decisive in causing a retrieval.

Reality is that many street people are often "borrowing" more than permanently stealing with intent to sell or remain in possession and this is the case with motor vehicles as well.  But "borrowing" is just as bad as stealing if there is no consent or no real intention of returning said property to the place where you took it within any meaningful time frame.  A note somewhere saying you will be back soon might help, but for owners with a missing bicycle GONE is GONE no matter the depth of your intent.

Lucas Ankhartz

non lue,
17 juin 2022, 15:17:2717/06/2022
à Portland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
FVNeY--WIAA8Tr7.jpg
Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer