Proposal to Amend Portland's Public Smoking Ban to include Transit Stops

Christopher Parelius

Jul 18, 2022, 7:48:05 AMJul 18
to pb...@googlegroups.com
Essentially the proposal is what it says above: extending the Smoke Free Portland Ordinance to include within 20 feet of a transit stop. The logic is essentially that smoking is a choice and people waiting for the bus can't just walk away if the smoke is bothering them or they risk missing the bus.

What is the group's thoughts on this?

Derek M. Strout

Jul 18, 2022, 8:16:27 AMJul 18
to PB...@googlegroups.com
I love it.

Derek

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 7:48 AM Christopher Parelius <CPare...@gmail.com> wrote:
Essentially the proposal is what it says above: extending the Smoke Free Portland Ordinance to include within 20 feet of a transit stop. The logic is essentially that smoking is a choice and people waiting for the bus can't just walk away if the smoke is bothering them or they risk missing the bus.

What is the group's thoughts on this?

Celina R Azevedo

Stephen Houdlette

Jul 18, 2022, 8:58:49 AMJul 18
to PB...@googlegroups.com
2nd'ing Celina

It's not that this isn't a real issue, but (1) there's already limited bandwidth for transit issues, this one seems pretty low on the pole and (2) some things are better mediated at a level below regulation and this seems like one of them.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 8:53 AM Celina R Azevedo <celinar...@gmail.com> wrote:
It wouldn’t be a priority for me. How’s it going to be enforced? I already don’t tend to stand inside the shelter if one or two people are already there, unless it’s raining or snowing. It is rude to smoke inside a transit shelter but pretty low on the list of things that will ruin my day.

On Monday, July 18, 2022, Derek M. Strout <derekm...@gmail.com> wrote:
I love it.

Derek

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 7:48 AM Christopher Parelius <CPare...@gmail.com> wrote:
Essentially the proposal is what it says above: extending the Smoke Free Portland Ordinance to include within 20 feet of a transit stop. The logic is essentially that smoking is a choice and people waiting for the bus can't just walk away if the smoke is bothering them or they risk missing the bus.

What is the group's thoughts on this?

John Clark

Jul 18, 2022, 9:24:19 AMJul 18
to PB...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Celina and Stephen, I'd love if people wouldn't smoke in transit shelters, but don't think this should be prioritized. I also don't necessarily like the idea of police having another reason to bother people at transit stops (although I doubt they would even bat an eye). As both a non-smoker and someone who rarely encounters people smoking at transit stops, I don't really know the best way to deal with the problem.

--
John Clark (he | him | his)
Administrative and Marketing Assistant, Windham Parks & Recreation

Christopher Parelius

Jul 18, 2022, 9:51:29 AMJul 18
to PB...@googlegroups.com
These are all good points! I figured that as an addition to an existing ordinance, which must have methods of enforcement built in, it would be relatively easy to expand the scope of it. John's point about not further incentivizing the police to bother people at bus stops is definitely a good one.

I agree that there are bigger, more pressing issues as far as bike/ped/transit are concerned. This just seemed like low hanging fruit.

-Chris

John Brooking

Jul 19, 2022, 8:32:30 AMJul 19
to PB...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, Metro policy already prohibits smoking at bus stops and shelters, and I think there are signs posted at some of them.

--
John Brooking
Cyclist, Cycling Educator, Technologist

Christopher Parelius

Jul 19, 2022, 9:51:51 AMJul 19
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Oh cool I didn't know that!

-Chris

John Brooking

Jul 20, 2022, 5:47:37 PMJul 20
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Of course there’s no official enforcement. I suppose maybe if someone was still smoking when the bus pulled up, the driver might say something, even if they put it out before boarding. Otherwise, it’s up to someone else at the stop if they want to say something about it. I never have.