Fwd: Portland Bikeshare Launch Celebration, Friday, 9/16, 10AM-Noon

Bruce Hyman

Sep 13, 2022, 4:14:05 PM9/13/22
to Portland Bicycle-Pedestrian Advisory Committee
Hi PBPAC,

I hope you can make your way down to the bike parking station on Commercial Street at Dana Street for the official launch celebration of Portland Bikeshare.

Here are the event details (https://fb.me/e/3soeWjo8V):
image.png
Free bikeshare ride coupons, live music, and a very special ribbon cutting with Mayor Kate Snyder!
Head on down to the bikeshare station at Commercial St. & Dana St between 10am-12pm.
Meet the mayor, mingle with the VIP sponsors and supporters of the bikeshare program, and learn all about how to use Portland Bikeshare.
Andrew Favreau kicks things off at 10am with a fun mix of acoustic covers ranging from Paul Simon to Ed Sheeran and The Beatles to Matchbox 20.
Mayor remarks and official ribbon cutting at 10:30.
For more information on Portland Bikeshare & Sponsors: https://www.tandem-mobility.com/portland
For more information on PARK(ing) Day: https://www.portlandmaine.com/events/2022-parking-day/

I'll be providing an update on the program tomorrow at the Sustainability and Transportation Committee. We're working on getting the latest usage data from Tandem Mobility as part of the update. You can find information about the S&T meeting, including access to the agenda and meeting link, here: www.portlandmaine.gov/675/Sustainability-Transportation-Committee.

Bruce
--
Bruce Hyman
Transportation Program Manager

Notice: Under Maine law, documents - including e-mails - in the possession of public officials or city employees about government business may be classified as public records. There are very few exceptions. As a result, please be advised that what is written in an e-mail could be released to the public and/or the media if requested.

winston.lumpkins

Sep 13, 2022, 7:32:47 PM9/13/22
to Portland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
Thanks Bruce!
That looks like fun, esp. coupons- it would  be a good excuse to actually try one of the bikes sometime!
Thanks for the note on the Sustainability & Transportation committee meeting- it's probably the most relevant committee to our mission, and I'd definitely recommend tuning it if anyone is free!  I have a tendency to watch the recordings a few days later.  I think holding these committee meetings via zoom & recording them really makes them so much more accessible.
~Winston

winston.lumpkins

Sep 15, 2022, 10:38:40 AM9/15/22
to Portland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
The presentation on the Bike Share runs from 14:00 to 52:00 & can be found recorded here:  https://portlandme.civicclerk.com/Web/Player.aspx?id=3634&key=-1&mod=-1&mk=-1&nov=0

Seems like it's going well- Bruce goes into details about which stations have had the highest ridership, which is really interesting!

Thanks Bruce!

~Winston

Emilie Swenson

Sep 15, 2022, 12:42:09 PM9/15/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
data screen shots about use (big drop was from rainy days) + locations (big dots = more use), below:
image.png
image.png

winston.lumpkins

Sep 16, 2022, 4:46:57 PM9/16/22
to Portland Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
I was at work all day so didn't make any of the Park day things :(.  But, I wanted to share this little fact, which really surprised me.

No one in the US has died using a bike share bike.

Knock on wood, but, that's really not what I thought.

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/3/11349856/bike-share-safety

John Brooking

Sep 17, 2022, 10:58:59 AM9/17/22
to PB...@googlegroups.com
Interesting article, and reassuring. One thing it says to me is what we on this list already know, which is that slower by everyone is safer for everyone.

(That said, I have to put in my usual plug for education, if only to help keep you safer at a faster speed. If your typical speed on your own bike is faster than that of an inexperienced person on a bike share bike, education can help keep you safe despite that increased speed, to avoid having to ride slower than you're capable of in order to stay safe. The increased efficiency is more important the further you have to go. That's also an argument against sidewalk riding, and even against some bicycle infrastructure, for faster cyclists. And all cyclists are faster downhill.)

It makes me wonder what further studies with e-bikes might show. If we're taking slower speed as a safety feature, does that mean rental e-bikes are more dangerous, since they allow inexperienced bicyclists ride at a more similar pace to experienced cyclists on traditional bikes?

John Brooking
Cyclist, Cycling Educator, Technologist