Limitations on the number of characters or types of special characters

Michael R Martz

Aug 19, 2020, 12:51:26 PM8/19/20
to PBCore Talk
Does anyone know if there are any limitations on the number of characters or types of
special characters that can be used in PBCore element fields?  I haven't
found any references so far in my review of the PBCore Handbook and
website resources.
I've already sent a message to the PBCore team through the Contact page on the website but am hoping to get an answer sooner than the two week turn around indicated there.

Jack Brighton

Aug 19, 2020, 1:33:13 PM8/19/20
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

There are no set character limits in PBCore elements. Various databases might have character limits, but that’s a separate issue from PBCore. If you’re using PBCore XML, the special character rules are the same as in the XML spec, so that would be your reference for that.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Jack Brighton

Michael R Martz