Hi Guys, I am new here and have a few questions

Grace McKay

Dec 19, 2016, 2:02:37 PM12/19/16
to PBCore Talk
I'm a telecine operator who also owns a library of tapes, films, and files. Currently using spreadsheets to catalog, and I know the limitations. I have over 10000 records at this point, but the system is a mess. I have a journeymans'-level understanding of databases and Joomla CMS in particular. So I would like to implement pbcore standards into a Joomla component for my catalog.I would hope this would end up being good enough to release as open source at some point. So here are a couple of questions.
  • first, is this a good idea?
  • has anyone done any similar work?
  • why is pbcore using xml instead of a relational database? what is the rationale?
  • are there any tools that would make this a simpler process?

The Joomla tool I have available will take care of the Joomla details but I need to set up the tables and fields from within the tool (Component Architect) and set up the hierarchy and relations. I am looking at the pbcoreDiagram_v2 for guidance.

So, as I read through the documentation, can anyone point me to additional resources and help?

Thanks

Grace McKay

Electric Pictures