Instantiations question

Marci Behm

Feb 7, 2024, 5:10:28 PMFeb 7
to PBCore Talk
Hi Everyone!

I'm working on normalizing some metadata in a pbcore spreadsheet and I've mainly been working with digital files, but for this sheet I am adding in the other instantiations.  For example, I have a program that is on LTO, XDCAM, Betacam and one at the AAPB. I have my instantiation identifiers, but when I move to the next section "instantiation_Digital" and "instantiationPhysical, there is only one column for each. If I add additional columns, how do I reconcile these to the appropriate instantiationIdentifiers?

Or... maybe I've gone completely off the rails?  I would appreciate any assistance or guidance.

Thank you,

Marci Behm
Iowa PBS

Jack Brighton

Feb 7, 2024, 6:14:01 PMFeb 7
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marci,

If you’re talking abut the pbcore_excel_template.xlsx, IMO you are right on track with this. It’s the same limitation with Asset columns like Description, Subject, Creator, and Contributor. Most assets have multiple values for each. I’m not an Excel wizard, but it seems to me spreadsheets are inherently limited, unless it would be acceptable to add duplicate columns. The folks at AAPB have done a great job of making things easy, and the spreadsheet is perfect for simple PBCore data. I would prefer to use XML, and built my own system to handle it, which alas is very bespoke or I’d share it.

All the best,

Jack Brighton
Illinois Public Media

Marci Behm

Feb 7, 2024, 6:38:47 PMFeb 7
to PBCore Talk
Hi Jack!

Thank you for the response!

I'm using the full spreadsheet version, but yes, excel is still limiting. I'm not an XML guru, but I have created additional columns before, but these don't seem to sync up in the sheet. I've also used the PBCore tool, and it's fine, but I encounter many issues when exporting records out to a CSV, like I may have 5 subjects for an asset, but only one shows in the export. I know this is because it doesn't create Subject1, Subject2, but just "Subject" for each entry. Maybe I'll import the sheet into the tool and see how it maps them...

In summary, I'm not an expert in any of the methods, but know enough to just screw things up!

Rebecca Fraimow

Feb 8, 2024, 10:03:00 AMFeb 8
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Marci – this might be a good use case for the Multiple Instantiation Inventory Spreadsheet, which you can find on the PBCore website: http://pbcore.org/spreadsheet-templates

This spreadsheet template uses two tabs, so you can have your asset level metadata in one tab and multiple instantiations in the next tab that are linked to each other with a unique key. There’s a walk-through of how to do that here: http://pbcore.org/tutorials#multiple-instantiation-spreadsheet

You can also always duplicate columns within a flat spreadsheet, too (and in the case of adding a whole new instantiation to a flat spreadsheet, you’d just duplicate all of the instantiation-level columns – so you’d have instantiationidentifier | instantiationPhysical | instantiationMediaType | etc | followed by instantiationIdentifier2 | instantiationPhysical2 | instantiationMediaType2 | etc) but sometimes having less flat metadata can make things easier.

Best,

Rebecca

Behm, Marci

Feb 8, 2024, 10:56:06 AMFeb 8
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rebecca,

You're a mad genius. I had forgotten about this. I think this solves my issue.

Thank you so much!

Marci Behm
Digital Archivist
marci...@iowapbs.org | Office 515.725.2304

Iowa PBS
New name. Same essential mission.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PBCore Talk" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pbcore-talk/15FB892C-5066-45C4-B63F-D19C45F43059%40wgbh.org.

Jack Brighton

Feb 8, 2024, 11:02:54 AMFeb 8
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com