instantiationGenerations CV

Mary Haberle

Apr 16, 2021, 1:06:58 PM4/16/21
to PBCore Talk
Hi there,

Can someone help me disambiguate the Original and Original Footage terms? The definitions appear to overlap. Wondering how they're used in the wild.

Thanks,

Mary

Rebecca Fraimow

Apr 20, 2021, 5:00:22 PM4/20/21
to pbcor...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mary,

I can speak to the intention of having Original, Original footage, and Original recording in the instantiationGenerations vocabulary – it’s similar to the reason that we have ‘Master,’ ‘Master: distribution,’ and ‘Master: production.’ We wanted people to have the opportunity to specifically identify original raw footage or audio with the ‘Original footage’ and ‘Original recording’ labels, but since instantiationGeneration is a repeatable field, we also wanted to provide the option for a user to add an ‘Original’ instantiationGeneration to a master or other edited version of the media to distinguish it from master-quality copies that might have been later made from that master.

For example, if one production master was originally duplicated from another, one of those production masters might have an instantiationGeneration: Original, and the other might have an instantiationGeneration: Copy, in addition to the instantiationGeneration tag that identifies them as production masters.

I hope this helps to clarify, and please let me know if you have more questions about this!

Best,

Rebecca

Mary Haberle

Apr 20, 2021, 6:31:18 PM4/20/21
to PBCore Talk
Very enlightening! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.