High memory utilization of "admin-cli" - parent process

Abdul Mohsin

May 25, 2021, 10:33:07 AM5/25/21
to Payara Forum

Hi Team,

We have a single machine in which multiple local payara instances are running through the windows services , those services are created using usual "create-service" asadmin command.

The problem which we are facing recently is that the parent process which started the payara local instance started consuming more memory ( ~1 to1.5 GB ).

We understand that this parent process triggered using the below command is just to start the "local-instance" and to monitor it,  so the memory consumption should be under <200MB ( startup consumption) and should not reach till ~ >= 1GB.
nadmin.bat start-local-instance --watchdog --nodedir D:/payara5/glassfish/nodes --node localhost-production <localInstanceName>

As we have not much control on this parent process (admin-cli) memory consumption we tried to find other options in the documentation to start all instances using a single window service but I believe there is no such option available.

The deployment group is something that can be used but there is no way to create a windows service for the deployment group ( pls correct me if I'm wrong ).

Please suggest what could be the issue for this high memory utilization of this parent process(admin-cli) to start the instance in --watchdog mode.

We tried taking the heap dump of this parent process as well but the heap size is not reflecting the actual memory consumption. For example : actual process is taking 1 GB but the heap size is showing <50MB.

Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance.
Abdul Mohsin

Christoph John

May 26, 2021, 4:59:28 AM5/26/21
to Payara Forum
I have answered on your cross-posted StackOverflow question: https://stackoverflow.com/a/67701701/4962355

Abdul Mohsin

May 26, 2021, 6:44:45 AM5/26/21
to Payara Forum

Thanks so much Christoph !
Just added one more comment there for clarification , posting the same below :
" Just wanted to confirm have you added it on the batch file : "nadmin.bat" on below command : %JAVA% -jar "%~dp0..\modules\admin-cli.jar" %* "

Again thanks so much for the support !

Regards,
Abdul