domain.xml and upgrade

Mike Ryan

Jan 14, 2021, 6:55:17 AM1/14/21
to Payara Forum
Just a general upgrade question.

If there are changes to the domain.xml file in a new release, do I need to be concerned that those changes may be overwritten if I use the backup and restore method as describe in option 1 from this link https://blog.payara.fish/how-to-upgrade-payara-server-5-reloaded ?

Thanks,

Mike

Rudy De Busscher

Jan 19, 2021, 2:13:45 PM1/19/21
to Payara Forum
Hi Mike,

yes, the procedure described in the blog is used to copy the domain.xml file (and other parts of the configuration) from the old version to the new version, overriding those files coming with the newer version.

Recommended way of configuring and updating the Payara Server is using the asadmin CLI so that you can create a script that creates your environment with any version of the server.

Best Regards
Rudy

Mike Ryan

Jan 20, 2021, 6:49:12 AM1/20/21
to Payara Forum
Hi Rudy,

Thanks for the response!

Just to clarify, I thought I was using the asadmin CLI when I use option 1 from the blog?

In other words, from the old installation to create the backup I run:

asadmin backup-domain --backupdir ${directoryToBackupTo} ${domainName}

And then in the new installation, in order to import my backup, I run

asadmin restore-domain --backupdir ${directoryThatYouBackedUpTo} ${domainName}

Are there some other asadmin commands I should be using instead?

Thanks again,

Mike

Rudy De Busscher

Jan 20, 2021, 1:44:52 PM1/20/21
to Payara Forum
Hi Mike,

Sorry for the confusion. What I mean is that you create the entire configuration of the environment using asadmin commands, like

asadmin create-jdbc-connection-pool ...
asadmin create-jvm-options  --target=server-config -Xmx4g
asadmin deploy ...

etc ...

That way, you can just run this script on the newly installed environment and don't use backup and restore.  That way you also preserve the new options on the domain configuration that we ship.

Regards
Rudy

Mike Ryan

Jan 20, 2021, 1:48:12 PM1/20/21
to Payara Forum
Hi Rudy,

Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense now.

-m