Status of new CDI and new Servlet in Payara?

Volker Kuhn

Jun 16, 2021, 4:24:04 AM6/16/21
to Payara Forum
The payara roadmap and presentations talked about a new CDI implementation and a new Servlet implementation in Payara.

What is the status of this?

The plans were to release this around August? I don't see anything yet in the Eclipse HK2 repo for new CDI.

Rudy De Busscher

Jun 16, 2021, 7:59:18 AM6/16/21
to Payara Forum
Hi,

We have done some work earlier this year on HK2 but not lately. All these changes are invisible for the developer and do not impact the applications. HK2 as a fully compliant CDI implementation and servlet changes are planned for Payara 6 final version which will be released for supporting Jakarta EE 10.

Best Regards
Rudy

Volker Kuhn

Jun 16, 2021, 8:52:40 AM6/16/21
to Payara Forum
I'm quite interested in the technical details. If the changes are totally invisible and impact nothing, why even go for it?

A new CDI implementation and especially a new Servlet implementation is quite a change. If you want to release Payara 6 for Jakarta EE 10 end of this year I'd expect you have a little more to show in terms of alpha versions now. When JBoss switched to their own Undertow they had very early versions like two year in advance, and quite a lot a year before they changed over. With 4, 5 months to go... just seems like very little time to me.

Steve Millidge

Jun 16, 2021, 11:37:28 AM6/16/21
to Payara Forum
My thoughts but don't take this as set in stone :-)

HK2 can now pass the DI TCK which is step 1. A lot of this work is also dependent on CDI-lite and whether that hits Jakarta EE 10 time-line as that heavily influences the decision as we would want to do CDI-lite first.

Work on Servlet is based on Grizzly so wouldn't be as big a job as Undertow which is a full HTTP server and there is already some existing work on Servlet support in Grizzly.

The goal is to get this into the first Payara 6 Community releases, however when Payara 6 drops is dependent on when Jakarta EE 10 drops as Payara 6 is the Jakarta EE 10; jakarta namespace; Java 17 release. If it doesn't make an early 6 community release due to a rapid EE 10 release then it will hit a later community release. Jakarta EE 10 Full Profile may also release without Core Profile or CDI-lite or may wait until they are ready so again that is an influencing factor. As always other work or other spec work may pull forward or push back this work.

The joy of product roadmap planning ;-)

Steve

Volker Kuhn

Jun 17, 2021, 7:47:20 AM6/17/21
to Payara Forum
Thanks for the clarifications Steve.

Maybe the work is not as much as Undertow at the time, that's true. But my gut feeling says getting to 100% compliance can be rather time consuming nevertheless. I've done a number of patches for our company on the GF codebase (similar to Payara still), and I remember that the Tomcat parts are quite entangled with GF. That's probably where you would spent most of your time quota.

I saw the DI TCK patch for HK2, it's quite minimal, just a technicality really as HK2 was already supposed to be DI compatible. If you haven't started yet with the actual CDI work, I stand by my earlier statement it seems like very little time to me.

Yes, it depends on the Jakarta EE 10 timeline. Many specs have set their deadline at mid October, meaning a final release in November or December? The joy of roadmap planning, I know all about it (I do this for my company). With holidays in between and some staffing issue I read about at Payara, 4 to 5 months would be a miracle if you could pull that off. Wish you good luck :)

Volker Kuhn

Aug 1, 2021, 2:22:10 PM8/1/21
to Payara Forum
Sorry to ask again, but what is the status really?

It's now over a month and I still see no activity? If Payara is developing this in a private repo, please say so. If Payara is not developing this currently, please also say so.