OSX Builds

Dave Marples

Jun 17, 2014, 5:50:53 PM6/17/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

Are there working OSX builds available anywhere?  I've taken the svn sources and, with a small amount of messing, have managed to get them to mostly build on OSX 10.9, although with a lot of warnings.  Unfortunately pawncc falls over instantly with a Segmentation Fault 11. Before I go digging into the problems I wondered if there were any builds around that were already configured for the platform that I've not bumped into?

Regards

DAVE

Dan Christian

Jun 17, 2014, 11:40:38 PM6/17/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is that 64bit builds don't work anywhere and that's what OSX will build by default.

I think there is a way to get OXS to build 32bit and then run under a 64bit OS, but I don't know how to get there.

-Dan

Dave Marples

Jun 18, 2014, 6:41:47 PM6/18/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Well, I've now got a 32 bit build compiling cleanly on OSX using patches that were posted in this mailing list previously and a fair bit of editing...the original pawn authors had a better understanding of operator precidence than most of us, and there were a fair few warnings to clean up about the use of ||, &&, | and & without brackets to make explicit the operator precidence....but nothing too serious.  I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable about these patches forming the basis of a 'permanent' mac version, but they're good enough to get me moving for now.

With this build I am able to compile and run the simple scripts from the example directory (e.g. hello.p, weekday.p etc.) but anything that needs any kind of libraries or external routines (e.g. rpn.p) fails....I suspect the dynlib stuff isn't quite 100% yet, but I'm climbing multiple cliff faces at the same time as I'm very new to pawn, this codebase, and compilation/debugging using the OSX LLVM compilers, so progress is slow.

Will keep folks posted.  The only reason I need this is to support my port to cortex-m3 which is where my real focus is....this is a bit of a distraction for me :-)

Regards

DAVE

Dave Marples

Jun 19, 2014, 6:38:58 PM6/19/14
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Ok, an OSX build is now working on 10.9. The compiler has survived light testing, as has the runtime. Everything builds without warnings but the debugger and disassembler are still distinctly unwell. I'm not intending releasing it formally because it feels pretty hairy to me but if and one wants it then they're more than welcome to drop me a note and I'll send it on....particularly if someone fancies cleaning it up for resubmission back into the main tree -it isnt in a state to do that with at the moment, its just about good enough for me to get back to what I was originally working on, pawn for an embedded micro.

Regards

Davr