Problems building from source

Dan Christian

Sep 4, 2013, 10:00:36 AM9/4/13
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
I'm just trying out pawn for the first time, and I'm trying to build from source (4.0 and 3.3) on MacOsX.
The instructions in readme.txt don't work for me (command line cmake).

First, it says to cd to bin, but that doesn't exist, so I created it.  No big deal, unless there are other files that should be in bin.

It says I should be able to do either "cmake ../source" or "cmake ..".  Neither works.
The only cmake files I see are further down.  Is the top level cmake missing?
unzip -l ~/Downloads/pawn-3.3.4127.zip | grep -i cmake
     3119  10-22-2008 04:47   source/compiler/CMakeLists.txt
     9059  10-22-2008 04:45   source/amx/CMakeLists.txt

I also tried the MacOs xcode build, but it failed with compile errors.

Finally, the 4.0 tarball seems to be missing license.txt.

Any tips on getting this to build?
Does it work for other people?

Thanks,
-Dan

Petteri Aimonen

Sep 4, 2013, 10:05:36 AM9/4/13
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> It says I should be able to do either "cmake ../source" or "cmake ..".
> Neither works.
> The only cmake files I see are further down. Is the top level cmake
> missing?

Not sure what is going on, but on Linux, I have used
"cmake ../source/compiler" and it has worked. This is the script I have
used:
https://github.com/PetteriAimonen/QuadPawn/blob/master/Compiler/bin/build-linux.sh

The Linux build has worked pretty well for me. On Windows, it built fine
with mingw but crashed at runtime in various places.. fixed that by
building with OpenWatcom.

--
Petteri

Dan Christian

Sep 4, 2013, 5:55:33 PM9/4/13
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
That works on Linux for the compiler.
I still can't build source/amx (which I assume is the run time).
First, it can't find dynlib, even if I set CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set it by hand (I tried 0.6 and 0.7).
But it says it will build without that, but I get build errors:
$ make
[  3%] Building C object CMakeFiles/amxArgs.dir/amx.c.o
/home/dac/OpenSource/pawn4/source/amx/amx.c: In function ‘amx_Callback’:
/home/dac/OpenSource/pawn4/source/amx/amx.c:553:7: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
/home/dac/OpenSource/pawn4/source/amx/amx.c:575:1: error: size of array ‘__ASSERT_STATIC_575’ is negative

-Dan

Dan Christian

Sep 5, 2013, 7:20:01 PM9/5/13
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Apparently it's unhappy because the pointer size is larger than the cell size.  I'm building on a 64 bit system.

I tried to pass in CPPFLAGS=PAWN_CELL_SIZE=64, but cmake just ignores it.

What's the right way to pass this in?  I would have thought it would be a CMake option, but that's not the case.

-Dan

Mike Smith

Oct 19, 2013, 8:54:38 PM10/19/13
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
I submitted some patches a while back to fix building on OS X, but they were never integrated (they're attached to issue #7, if you want to try them yourself).

The 64-bit compiler is broken and not easily fixed; I took a stab at it but the issues are fundamental and I couldn't justify the time (sorry Thiadmer, the code is also pretty difficult to work with...). My patchset defaults to building 32-bit on OS X.

 = Mike