multi vm task

杨标(Vinge)

Jul 15, 2013, 3:05:02 AM7/15/13
to pawnscript
I found a project call Life OS that can run multi PAWN VM in an embeded OS,since pawn it self
didnot support multi task. http://www.pleoworld.com/downloads/PawnScriptingInLifeOS.pdf
That's a very interesting feture, any body had any idea on how to achive it?

        ven....@gmail.com
          2013-07-15

Tyler Wilson

Aug 5, 2013, 2:43:41 PM8/5/13
to pawns...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

You are in luck. I was the Lead Software person at Ugobe where LifeOS was developed. And I was the person who decided on Pawn, did most of the integration of the language, and worked with CompuPhase on some custom work on the language (which is where the Overlay support came from).

As you say, Pawn does not directly support any kind of threading, so we used multiple 'VM's or AMX contexts for our purposes. We ended up with four separate Pawn AMX machines and simply did a round-robin scheduling for each one. We also supported waits and timeout functions, which is important so we know whether to give any time to a particular AMX.

That is likely all I can give you since I no longer work for Ugobe, or the company that bought all the rights to Pleo and all associated software, which includes LifeOS. I am working on a Pawn-enabled Bluetooth Smart platform right now, so I am still working in Pawn. I think it is a much better fit that some other systems I have seen that use BASIC (ugh).

Thanks,
Tyler