Please respond to save Python 2.5!

Almad

Sep 17, 2012, 1:34:46 PM9/17/12
to pa...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Robin Kruppe is doing excellent work on Python 3 support.

To make the support reliable, it would be cool if we could drop py2.5 support (see https://groups.google.com/d/msg/paver/q7dsn_PBZ18/0AbHAOuwqpIJ ).

I am personally in favor of that. However, if Python 2.5 still has enough traction among Paver users, we might end up with paver 1.1.x line which would still be maintained independently.

Which side are you on?

Almad

Robin Kruppe

Sep 17, 2012, 2:18:57 PM9/17/12
to pa...@googlegroups.com
Just to be clear, Python 2.5 support in general is not a (serious)
problem, or if so, I did not encounter it so far.
It's just the Cog dependency which causes trouble (only supports 2.6+)
and would have to be made optional in some way.
It could, like Sphinx, be detected and used if available and otherwise ignored.
So if you use pavement with Python 2.5 but without Cog, you should be fine.

Cheers