Announcement: PAV (Provenance, Authoring and Versioning) ontology 2.3.0

Stian Soiland-Reyes

Aug 22, 2014, 12:05:34 PM8/22/14
to pav-on...@googlegroups.com, w3c semweb hcls, publi...@w3.org
I am proud to announce the release of PAV (Provenance, Authoring and
Versioning) ontology version 2.3.0.

PAV is a lightweight ontology for tracking Provenance, Authoring and
Versioning. PAV specializes the W3C provenance ontology PROV-O in
order to describe authorship, curation and digital creation of online
resources.

Version 2.3 adds further relations for versioning:
pav:hasVersion, pav:hasCurrentVersion, pav:hasEarlierVersion

and adds subproperty mappings with:
prov:alternateOf, prov:specializationOf, prov:generalizationOf, dct:hasVersion

Namespace / current version:
http://purl.org/pav/

OWL import 2.3:
http://purl.org/pav/2.3

Further documentation:
http://purl.org/pav/2.3/html

Cite as:

Paolo Ciccarese, Stian Soiland-Reyes, Khalid Belhajjame, Alasdair JG
Gray, Carole Goble, Tim Clark (2013): PAV ontology: provenance,
authoring and versioning. Journal of biomedical semantics 4:37.
doi:10.1186/2041-1480-4-37

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science

Stian Soiland-Reyes

Aug 27, 2014, 7:20:27 AM8/27/14
to Bernard Vatant, Paolo Ciccarese, pav-on...@googlegroups.com
I think this must be a glitch - the equivalence to pav1 properties
should still be in there (but without importing pav1 which would be
very confusing). I'll put them
back in and silently release it as 2.5.1.

Thanks for letting me know!

Yes, PAV1 is a preliminary (incompatible) version, in a different
namespace. It which was part of the SWAN ontologies. PAV 2 is the
evolution of that, with a new namespace and clarified descriptions. By
semantic versioning rules it is therefore 2.x.x.

http://pav-ontology.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/provenance.ttl (which
probably still needs a bit of polishing) expresses this as:

<http://purl.org/pav> a prov:Entity, owl:Ontology ;
pav:version "2" ;
pav:previousVersion <http://purl.org/pav/1.2/> ;
pav:hasCurrentVersion <http://purl.org/pav/2.3> ;
pav:hasVersion
<http://purl.org/pav/2.3> ,
<http://purl.org/pav/2.2> ,
<http://purl.org/pav/2.1> ,
<http://purl.org/pav/2.0/> .

<http://purl.org/pav/2.0/> a prov:Entity, owl:Ontology ;
pav:version "2.0" ;
pav:specializationOf <http://purl.org/pav/> ;
pav:previousVersion <http://purl.org/pav/1.2/> .

<http://purl.org/pav/1.2/> a prov:Entity, owl:Ontology ;
owl:sameAs <http://swan.mindinformatics.org/ontologies/1.2/pav/>,
<http://pav-ontology.googlecode.com/svn/tags/1.2/pav.owl> ;
pav:version "1.2" ;
pav:authoredOn "2009-01-13T00:00:00Z"^^xsd:dateTime ;
pav:authoredBy <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-5156-2703> ;
pav:contributedBy <http://www.paolociccarese.info/foaf.rdf#marco-ocana> .

http://purl.org/pav/2.0/

says:

<owl:priorVersion
rdf:resource="http://swan.mindinformatics.org/ontologies/1.2/pav.owl"/>

without claiming owl:backwardCompatibleWith

On 22 August 2014 21:31, Bernard Vatant <bernard...@mondeca.com> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I've updated the LOV record with the new version
> http://lov.okfn.org/dataset/lov/details/vocabulary_pav.html
>
> I noticed that the OWL file contains a namespace declaration which is not
> used anymore in this version :
> http://swan.mindinformatics.org/ontologies/1.2/pav/ (pav1)
> In previous version, there were equivalences between pav and pav1
>
> pav1 is still online and dated 2008-10-18. Can it be considered as a
> preliminary version?
> In that case, for the record is it useful to upload it to LOV in the
> vocabulary version history?
>
> Best regards

> <soilan...@cs.manchester.ac.uk>:
> --
> Bernard Vatant
> Vocabularies & Data Engineering
> Tel : + 33 (0)9 71 48 84 59
> Skype : bernard.vatant
> http://google.com/+BernardVatant
> Mondeca
> 35 boulevard de Strasbourg 75010 Paris
> www.mondeca.com
> Follow us on Twitter : @mondecanews

Stian Soiland-Reyes

Sep 9, 2014, 5:40:44 AM9/9/14
to Bernard Vatant, Paolo Ciccarese, pav-on...@googlegroups.com
On 27 August 2014 12:20, Stian Soiland-Reyes
<soilan...@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> I think this must be a glitch - the equivalence to pav1 properties
> should still be in there (but without importing pav1 which would be
> very confusing). I'll put them
> back in and silently release it as 2.5.1.

Restored in http://purl.org/pav/2.3.1 which is now live.

It seems to be a bug in Protege 5 that I will have to report.