A New Farming Season Begins!

Paul's Grains

Mar 30, 2017, 9:43:42 PM3/30/17
to Paul's Grains
Greetings to all of you!

Some of you are probably wondering what happened to us. We didn't realize it had been over a year since we had communicated with this loop. Well, we are still here, still farming organically and still milling flours and cereals. If you are needing any of our products give us a call at:  641-476-3373 or email us at:  sp...@heartofiowa.net

The past year was one of a lot of transitions. Daniel (our farmer son) and Amy (his wife) took on the responsibility for the farming aspect of our land and did a wonderful job. They also take care of most of the livestock. Lydia and Rachel (our two daughters who are still around some of the time) help out with the goats--milking them for the most part. Steve is doing the milling now as the orders come in. I, for the most part, take care of the chickens and the paperwork for orders, etc.

Last year was an interesting one. We had a good lambing, calving, and kidding season, and even had several hens find safe hiding places for their nests so they were able to hatch out some chicks. Our biggest project was putting a metal roof on our farmhouse. It took most of August and some of September to accomplish most of the physical labor, but much planning, etc. were invested in it earlier in the year.. For the most part, the rain stayed away while we had the old roof off, however, we did have a surprise one evening and had to line the floor with tubs to catch the stream of water coming in. Thankfully it didn't last long enough to do any permanent damage inside. During the process of construction, the garden got neglected, but we were thankful for what we were able to glean and share with our friends and family that stopped by to share some of their time with us. We thoroughly enjoyed everyone who stopped by for a few minutes or for a few weeks.

The real highlight of the year arrived in December--Joe and Abigail (our oldest daughter and her husband) and Lukas (4) and Melody (1) welcomed another member to their family. Nathanael Joab Courage Westbrook. He is a very peaceful little boy. He is gaining weight and responds to anyone who takes time to notice him, but if no one is there, he enjoys the scenery around him. His siblings are very protective of him.

Now, with the beginning of another season on the farm, the lambs are arriving--28 so far during  the last week and a half. The chickens are enjoying being out and about more and have doubled their egg production the last few weeks. So we have gone from having a waiting list for eggs to wondering if we can find homes for all of them! The calves are due to arrive any time now and so are the kid goats. It is nice to see the pastures greening up so that we can move the mothers and their babies to the pastures before too long. The oats are planted, so there is also a promise of plenty of oats for more oatmeal!

We are thankful for each of you, our customers, that help keep the farm going! If you are in need of any grass-fed beef or free-range, antibiotic-free eggs, flour, cereal, or whole grains, let us know. We make trips to Des Moines, IA, from time to time and would be happy to meet up with you, or if you live closer, give us a call or email and come and visit. We do meet customers in some of the other small towns around, too.

May each of you find reason to rejoice with this new season that gives us each an opportunity to serve the Lord in whatever position He has placed us in.

Teresa (for the Paul family)