It is Farmer's Market time!

Paul's Grains

May 7, 2013, 12:15:06 AM5/7/13
to pauls...@googlegroups.com
Greetings to all of you!

Spring has finally arrived (at least we think so)! The oats are planted and the garden is started. We are hoping to put the corn and soybeans in before too much longer. The snow over the weekend really made us wonder if it was May or October--it looked like an early fall snow instead of a spring snow because the green grass was peeking through. But, we are so thankful for all the rain we have been receiving. It has done a lot to replenish the ground water that was greatly depleted last summer and fall.

Along with all the other spring activities come the farmer's market season. We have a booth reserved for us at the Downtown Des Moines Farmer's Market this Saturday, May 11th. We are looking forward to seeing everyone again.We will be located in the same general area where we were last summer--2nd St. South, about 1/3 of the way down the street on the west side. If any of you would like to place an order, just give us a call 641-476-3373 or email us at:  sp...@heartofiowa.net

As for our building and fire cleanup projects, we are still working on getting our new well pump installed in the building where the old pump was located. It has been a slow process due to the late snows, rains and cold temperatures, but now that it has dried out some we have been able to work some on the rubbish removal. We are really looking forward to have running water again. Right now we have to carry the water in from the outdoor tanks, so it will be a luxury to be able to have our indoor plumbing working again and to have the livestock waterers fill automatically. You really learn to appreciate things much more after they have been taken away.

We recently acquired 275 chicks to raise for laying hens and broilers. They are just over two weeks old now and growing up so fast. More lambs are being born, so we have quite a flock now. We hope to get the ewes sheared this week and then we will have some of the wool made into quilt battings. If any of you are interested in purchasing a wool batting for a quilt or comforter, let us know. They are so cozy. We will take the wool later this month to Michigan for processing. So, if you are interested we would need to know soon.

Once again, we want you all to know how much we appreciate your support and your patience as we work through the activities the Lord sets before us each day. We hope all of you have been able to get out for a stroll in the sunshine, too.

Until next time,

Teresa
(for the Paul Family)