Re: [Hillside Members:] RE: Setting up a Patterns search engine

1 view

Yishay Mor

Sep 22, 2008, 5:59:04 AM9/22/08
to James O. Coplien, mem...@hillside.net, membersHil...@yahoogroups.com, Schuetz, Dietmar (CT), Borjan Cace, Klaus Marquardt, Tim Wellhausen, Aliaksandr Birukou, Michael Weiss, Justin Smith, patt...@googlegroups.com
Ademar,

Thanks for opening up the discussion. I think there are several dimensions to this problem:
* We need some good repositories.
* We need a protocol for sharing pattern meta-data across repositories.
* We need some tools for semantic search. e.g. a search for Flyweight should also return Composite.

At the Planet project (http://patternlanguagenetwork.org/) we're building a repository for case studies, patterns and scenarios: http://patternlanguagenetwork.myxwiki.org/ . It's a form-driven system, with wysiwg editing, based on XWiki.

Following previous discussions with Ademar and others, we've started a group called "Pattern eXchange", which aims to facilitate cross-project, cross-disiplinary discussion of these issues:
http://patternlanguagenetwork.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Groups.pattern-x/
http://groups.google.com/group/pattern-x

This has led to preliminary work on a pattern aggregator, a unified pattern scheme, and a pattern exchange protocol. All *very* preliminary and contributions are most welcome.

Looking forward to exciting days. I won't make it to OOPSLA or PLoP but please keep me posted if something happens there.

p.s.
Gregor - could you add http://patternlanguagenetwork.myxwiki.org to your search engine?
___________________________
Yishay Mor, Researcher, London Knowledge Lab
http://www.lkl.ac.uk/people/mor.html
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=yishaym%40gmail.com
+44-20-78378888 x5737

2008/9/22 James O. Coplien <jcop...@gmail.com>
This could make a great open source project. I suggest doing some shopping around to find a good starting place, one with the basic features we want. For example, the Organizational Patterns book was generated from an on-line Wiki with a push of a button -- and no human intervention in the output that the button generated for the publisher. That was based on ThoughtsWeaver. I'm certainly not trying to push that one -- ThoughtsWeaver isn't very active these days -- but I do want to underscore the point that the starting point should support basically what we want to do in the medium term. There's a lot more to a repository than just browsing.

An intriguingly nice browser is based here:

       http://www.caceconsult.nl/Via-Nova/PatternExample3/Multi-channel.htm

Maybe the Hillside web site could dedicate a page to such links?

On Sep 22, 2008, at 10:09 , Ademar Aguiar wrote:

Hi Gregor, all,

This pattern search is something very important to make patterns easy to use and widespread.

At EuroPLoP 2008, we talked also (again...) about pattern repositories and tried to merge some initiatives of Yishai, Aliaksandr, Michael Weiss, Justin Smith (all cc:).

What about to organize another BoF at OOPSLA/PLoP 2008 about this?

Regards,

Ademar

Joseph W. Yoder wrote:
I think the main thing we need to do is to build some good repositories good searches.
We have some but they are disjoint and this is the main problem we've had so far in the patterns community.
--joe
At 09:15 PM 9/21/2008, Gregor Hohpe wrote:
Hi everyone,

At the Hillside Europe meeting  in Irsee we discussed the possibility of a
pattern search engine. I setup an experimental version:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=000531763273211731096:b-lv61obcte

We can further customize this search engine by feeding it with relevant
sites. Please let me know if you have a site you'd like to include. We can
also add a custom logo. If you have one, let me know.

I am also looking for general feedback. So please give it a try and let me
know what works and what does not. If it works well, we should link to it
from our home page.

--Gregor