Does Pattern still work with DuckDuckGo?

Toma Tasovac

May 3, 2014, 2:11:46 PM5/3/14
to pattern-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

is DuckDuckGo still a viable option for web searches from within Pattern?

When I do:

g = Google(license=None, throttle=0.5, language=None)
results = g.search("test")
print results.total

I get

329000000

but with

d = DuckDuckGo(license=None, throttle=0.5, language=None)
results
= d.search("test")
print results.total

I get

None

Also, is DuckDuckGo really limitless? I have made a list of low-frequency words from various corpora. Some of these words are "real" words, some are typos. I would like to use Pattern to search for occurrences of these words online and record how many results can be found. (I know that this is not a bullet-proof method, but it will do for what I am trying to do.) Now, provided that DuckDuckGo actually works, and provided I respect the throttle setting, could I really use it for a limitless number of times?

Google gives me much better results, but it's not an option as it would quickly get very expensive.

Any tips will be appreciated.

All best,
Toma

--