Port Alberni BC Transit Survey! Share and Complete!

Chris Alemany

Apr 2, 2024, 5:14:29 PMApr 2
to Alberni Valley Transition Town Society Mailing List
Hi everyone!

I wanted share the link to the BC Transit survey that is on for a limited time specifically for Port Albenri and the Alberni Valley!
Here it is!  I’ve included their summary below. There are some very exciting and long asked-for improvements!  (For me, the connection to the East side of the Island is huge!)

Please do check it out. I hope you can show your support for increased service.

They say:
BC Transit is looking at potential transit service improvements which includes the following:

Introducing service to Sproat Lake – two different routing options
New service to Beaver Creek
A connection between Port Alberni and the Regional District of Nanaimo
New routing for Route 3 River Road via Stamp Avenue
The survey will be available here: engage.bctransit.com/portalbernitransit. Paper surveys will also be available and can be found at the following locations:

ACRD Office – 3008 Fifth Avenue, Port Alberni
Port Alberni City Hall – 4850 Argyle Street, Port Alberni
Echo Aquatic Centre and Fitness Studio – 4255 Wallace Street, Port Alberni
Port Alberni Friendship Center – 3555 Fourth Avenue – Unit A, Port Alberni
For more information about trip planning, schedules and to sign up for customer alerts, please visit bctransit.com/port-alberni.

Cheers
Chris

Christopher Alemany
President - Alberni Valley Transition Town Society
3854 Sixth Ave.
Port Alberni, BC
V9Y4M2
Unceded Traditional Territory of c̓išaaʔath and hupačasatḥ First Nations.

Jim W

Apr 2, 2024, 6:33:44 PMApr 2
to patran...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's spectacular!  Now let's ensure the details work so it gets the maximum support.

Jim Wright

Rosemarie Buchanan

Apr 2, 2024, 6:56:36 PMApr 2
to patran...@googlegroups.com
I did the survey, and once again, it was developed by someone who doesn't have mobility issues.  For me, walking from my house to the nearest bus stop is impossible.  I wish I could, but a lower back injury makes it almost impossible to walk anywhere.  Same with riding a bike.  I suggested more bus stops might help with this problem, but even then, it wouldn't work for me and many other folks in our valley.

More handidart services would help, which I also mentioned in the survey.

I also filled out the ACRD survey a few days ago.  Again, questions developed by some well-meaning person who has no idea what it's like living in constant, excruciating pain and being almost unable to walk or be independently mobile.  I'm grateful I have my own vehicle, and no, it's not electric but  it has a very small engine and I run it in "eco" mode.  I simply don't have the money to replace it.  And that's another problem with surveys and other groups or individuals who are very comfortably retired, or are still working and have well paying jobs, and replacing their fossil-fuel burning vehicle with an electric one.  Life isn't that simple or easy for many of us.

Ain't I a ray of sunshine?  lol ...

Rosemarie

Chris Alemany

Jim W

Apr 2, 2024, 7:07:03 PMApr 2
to patran...@googlegroups.com
Point taken, Rosemary!

The transit system needs to work for the mass of citizens, but it also has to work for people with particular needs.

A modern public transit system may involve door to door on demand service, new technology suggests that it might be possible.

Jim

Rosemarie Buchanan

Apr 2, 2024, 7:27:26 PMApr 2
to patran...@googlegroups.com

Jim W

Apr 2, 2024, 7:34:11 PMApr 2
to patran...@googlegroups.com
Oops, sorry about that.

Kim Bothen

Apr 2, 2024, 7:45:39 PMApr 2
to patran...@googlegroups.com
survey complete! Not really a great survey, not alot of ways to say "I would be a user if..."  etc...also, nowhere to say "I'm equity seeking as an elderly person"...which I'm not really, but I know those who are!!

Kim