Public event on trial transparency 5th February Conway Hall

Ben Goldacre

Jan 2, 2013, 5:51:37 PM1/2/13
to pathtodata...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

i'm speaking at this event, organised by some students, on the need for transparency in clinical trials.

I don't know the other speakers, who were invited by the organisers.

It should be interesting, if anyone wishes to come. There is a senior person from industry, and from the EMA.

Ben

Programme:
18.45 Registration.
19.00 Speaker presentations.
20.15 Panel debate.
21.30 Cheese and wine reception.
Speakers include industry professionals and academia,
including author and big pharma critic Dr Ben Goldacre.
Dr Miran Epstein - Medical doctor and Reader in Medical Ethics at Barts and The London School of
Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London. Dr Epstein will discuss the disturbing
relationship between the pharmaceutical industry and research ethics and explains how they can be
fixed.
Mr Chris Walker - Executive Director of Regulatory Affairs at biopharmaceutical company Amgen. Mr.
Walker will present his personal view from an industry perspective and will provide a summary of the
current state of legislation, expectations on transparency and how the conversation is evolving.
Dr. Ben Goldacre - author, broadcaster, medical doctor and academic. Dr. Goldacre will present on
the themes of his recent book 'Bad Pharma' about the misuse of evidence by the pharmaceutical
industry, especially the way that negative trial data goes missing in action, and how easy it would be to
fix this.
Dr. Xavier Luria - Independent consultant in drug development, regulation and business school
lecturer. Previous head of safety and efficacy at European Medicines Agency (EMA). Dr. Luria will
present on access to clinical trial data and transparency from a regulator perspective.
The evening will be chaired by former Tomorrow's World presenter, science writer and broadcaster
Vivienne Parry OBE.
Conway Hall
25 Red Lion Square
WC1R 4RL London
United Kingdom
Tuesday, 5 February 2013
from 18:45 to 22:30 (GMT)
Please join us for an open debate on the ethics and transparency in the Pharmaceutical Industry.
All proceeds donated to the charity 'Sense', supporting deafblind children, adults and their carers. The
coordinators of this event are not affiliated to any organisation.
- Should transparency be a legal obligation?
- Where do the regulators stand on this issue?
- Is the current process morally acceptable or should it be
changed?
Decide for yourself - Come and hear an informative,
balanced and lively debate

PHARMABATE:
Ethics and Transparency in the
Pharmaceutical Industry
Tuesday 5 February, 18.45 – 22.30, Holborn - London
Tickets Cost:
£15 per adult
£10 per student
               Buy Ticket
Or search the web for 'pharmabate'
Sponsored by
Raising money for
Buy Ticket

Pharmabate_Flyer_2.1.13.pdf

Trisha Greenhalgh

Jan 3, 2013, 4:47:57 AM1/3/13
to pathtodata...@googlegroups.com
Will send our MSc students!

Prof Trisha Greenhalgh

Global Health, Policy and Innovation Unit
Centre for Primary Care and Public Health
Blizard Institute

Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry

Yvonne Carter Building
58 Turner Street
London E1 2AB
t : 020 7882 7325 (PA) or 7326 (dir line)
f : 020 7882 2552
e:
p.gree...@qmul.ac.uk
Twitter @trishgreenhalgh

Tom Jefferson

Jan 3, 2013, 9:08:52 AM1/3/13
to pathtodata...@googlegroups.com
Know Xavier Luria's name because he signed all the EMA TF releases to us and all our appeal correspondence.

I'd very interested in listening to pharma's view but it's a long way for me to come.