Interesting paper on the history of calls for independent testing

Ben Goldacre

Jan 6, 2013, 9:25:26 PM1/6/13
to pathtodata...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

here is an interesting paper on the history of calls for independent testing, rather than drug companies running trials on their own products.

It's very thorough, and interesting to see how it's been raised (and dismissed) so many times, by so many different people, in so many different roles.

Downloadable for free here (it's long!):

Ben

Dr Ben Goldacre
Wellcome Research Fellow in Epidemiology
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Keppel St, London WC1E 7HT
ben.go...@lshtm.ac.uk

Eva Vanamee

Jan 7, 2013, 12:05:02 AM1/7/13
to pathtodata...@googlegroups.com
Indeed very interesting. I think realistically, the choice is between 4 and 5 (see table on page 116).
Combining option 4 (more transparency with open access to trial data) with a renewal policy that would require drug makers to reapply every five years could make a huge difference. If I understand it correctly,  that is what the European policy will be after Jan 1, 2014.
I would also make sure that independent groups have more voice in the approval/re-approval process.
Option 5 (independent entities conducting the clinical trials) may work even better but it is a long-term fight.

We also need personal liabilities for fraud as the fines are not working.

- Eva