Fwd: One more letter to sign on to --

David Boundy

Apr 28, 2021, 6:10:34 PM4/28/21
to Oppedahl lists, pate...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues --

Please add your name to the signon spreadsheet BY FRIDAY 8PM Eastern at
to sign on to this short (2 pages+!) letter --

I think this is the last sign-on letter for this blizzard (the PTO career staff are taking advantage of the no-Director interregnum to force through some rules that would never fly if there were a political appointee overseeing things.  I think that pipeline is now drained.)

The PTO estimates that Powers of Attorney take 3 minutes.  That estimate includes finding out which entity within a corporate family can give Power, finding the right signatory, email tag to get the thing signed, reminding the signatory of the PTO's weird sui generis rule about slashes that agrees with no one else, filing, records retention, bizarreness and bounces of ADS's that accompany Powers, choosing from among the dozen different forms the PTO provides, etc.  The PTO says 3 minutes.

All this letter says is "3 minutes is absurd, 30-60 minutes is more like it."

Please sign on.   This letter readopts our letter of March 12
This new letter is at
Please add your name to the signon spreadsheet at

Thank you

David

--

This communication is a confidential attorney-client communication intended only for the person named above or an authorized representative.  Any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited, whether by the author or recipients.  Any legal, business or tax information contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended as a thorough, in-depth analysis of specific issues, nor a substitute for a formal opinion, nor is it sufficient to avoid legal or other adverse consequences to the recipient. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not copy, use, disclose or distribute this communication or attribute to the Firm any information contained in this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please advise the sender by replying to this message or by telephone, and then promptly delete it.

David Boundy

David Boundy

Apr 29, 2021, 11:26:41 AM4/29/21
to Oppedahl lists, pate...@googlegroups.com
Dear Colleagues --

Do you have a story about a Power of Attorney from hell?

One of you wrote me that "OMG Powers of Attorney are the bane of my existence."  Well they used to be easy.  Then along came those silly unpublished ADS rules and the PTO's "we'll bounce your Power and we won't give you a name at the bottom of the bounce letter, and many of the rules we apply exist nowhere in writing.  Have fun."

Can you gen up some anecdotes by 5PM (eastern) Friday?   Write them so that I can just cut and paste verbatim into an exhibit.  I will anonymize, of course.
    -- The primary point to illustrate is that "3 minutes for a Power of Attorney is entirely implausible."
    -- A secondary point, less important, is "The PTO's unwritten rules of implementation create costs that are entirely unnecessary."
    -- Maybe "I used to file Powers of Attorney in every application.  In the last few years, it's become such a pain that I don't any more.  Not having Power of Attorney creates problems for me from time to time, but in an effort to reduce costs, I shortcut on Power of Attorney and take on the excess cost when the situation arises."

If you can give two or three sentences of anecdote, that would be helpful -- you know how stories make the point so much more vividly than statistics.

Thank you.

--

Cambridge Technology Law LLC

686 Massachusetts Avenue #201, Cambridge  MA  02139

mailing address
PO Box 590638
Newton MA   02459

David Boundy

Apr 30, 2021, 12:17:48 PM4/30/21
to Oppedahl lists, pate...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues --

Last call for signature to comment letter on Powers of Attorney.

1.  Please add your name to the signon spreadsheet BY FRIDAY 8PM Eastern at
current draft of letter is at--

2.  If you have any anecdotes about Powers of Attorney that ended up as time sinks, could you send me a paragraph?  I will incorporate it as another "Anecdote" in the Exhibit.  (Thank you to an attorney, who I assume wishes to remain anonymous -- it was exactly what was needed here.)

The PTO estimates that Powers of Attorney take 3 minutes.  That estimate includes finding out which entity within a corporate family can give Power, finding the right signatory, email tag to get the thing signed, reminding the signatory of the PTO's weird sui generis rule about slashes that agrees with no one else, filing, records retention, bizarre bounces and resubmits, choosing from among the dozen different forms the PTO provides, etc.

This letter says is "3 minutes is absurd, 30-60 minutes is more like it."