Rig name to use in Pat

Keith Kaiser

Sep 13, 2022, 9:03:02 PMSep 13
to pat-users
As you can see below rigctl -l returns this;

Here is my Pat configure file. Please note that “rig” appears a number of times but it seems each requires a different combination of the rig information.
I do not understand what column of information goes where in the config file, it seems like I’ve tried a hundred combinations and I always get this;

2022/09/13 19:30:37 QSY failed: Hamlib rig 'Icom IC7000' not loaded.

Can someone help me fix this issue please?

{
  "mycall": "wa0tjt",
  "secure_login_password": “******",
  "auxiliary_addresses": [],
  "locator": "EM29qe",
  "service_codes": [
    "PUBLIC"
  ],
  "http_addr": "localhost:8080",
  "motd": [
    "Open source Winlink client - getpat.io"
  ],
  "connect_aliases": {
    "telnet": "telnet://{mycall}:CMST...@cms.winlink.org:8772/wl2k"
  },
  "listen": [],
  "hamlib_rigs": {},
  "ax25": {
    "port": "wl2k",
    "beacon": {
      "every": 3600,
      "message": "Winlink P2P",
      "destination": "IDENT"
    },
    "rig": "Icom IC7000"
  },
  "serial-tnc": {
    "path": "/dev/ttyUSB0",
    "serial_baud": 9600,
    "hbaud": 1200,
    "type": "Kenwood"
  },
  "ardop": {
    "addr": "localhost:8515",
    "arq_bandwidth": {
      "Forced": false,
      "Max": 500
    },
    "rig": "Icom IC7000",
    "ptt_ctrl": false,
    "beacon_interval": 0,
    "cwid_enabled": true
  },
  "pactor": {
    "path": "/dev/ttyUSB0",
    "baudrate": 57600,
    "rig": "",
    "custom_init_script": ""
  },
  "telnet": {
    "listen_addr": ":8774",
    "password": ""
  },
  "varahf": {
    "host": "localhost",
    "cmdPort": 8300,
    "dataPort": 8301,
    "bandwidth": 2300,
    "rig": "Icom IC7000",
    "ptt_ctrl": true
  },
  "varafm": {
    "host": "localhost",
    "cmdPort": 8300,
    "dataPort": 8301,
    "bandwidth": 0,
    "rig": "Icom IC7000",
    "ptt_ctrl": true
  },
  "gpsd": {
    "enable_http": false,
    "allow_forms": false,
    "use_server_time": false,
    "addr": "localhost:2947"
  },
  "schedule": {},
  "version_reporting_disabled": false
}

Keith, WA0̷TJT
Author: https://net-control.us
ARRL ARES Communicator Level 2, AEC for Platte Co. MO
KCHEART Radio Operator - St. Lukes Barry Road Hospital

KM4ACK

Sep 14, 2022, 12:37:26 PMSep 14
to pat-users
You first need to start rigctld with something like:
rigctld -m 3060 -r /dev/ttyUSB0

In the pat config file look for "hamlib_rigs": {}, and replace it with
"hamlib_rigs": {
"my_precious_rig": {"address": "localhost:4532", "network": "tcp"}
},

In addition, you will need to update each instance of "rig": "" in the config file with the name of the radio. In this case "my_precious_rig" like this:
"rig": "my_precious_rig",

73, de KM4ACK

KM4ACK

Sep 14, 2022, 1:52:53 PMSep 14
to pat-users
| "This is helpful, thank you. But I still don’t know what value my_precious_rig has from the list, can you help me?"

my_precious_rig is an arbitrary name value. It can be anything you choose as long as it matches in the other instances of the config file. Once you define "my_precious_rig": {"address": "localhost:4532", "network": "tcp"}, it points to the rigctld instance (on port 4452) that is handling rig control so starting rigctld first is a must.

73, de KM4ACK

Keith Kaiser

Sep 14, 2022, 5:03:34 PMSep 14
to pat-users
You have the patience of Job but I still have something wrong. I set "Hamlib_rigs" like this;

"hamlib_rigs": {"ic7000":{"address":"localhost:4452","network":"tcp"}
},

I changed all references to "rig" to say;
"rig": "ic7000"

I also tried the port number at 4532 but that didn't work. Where does that port number come from? My 7000 is connected via SignaLink USB to a M2 MacBook Air.

Where in the config file should I put the rigctld -m 3060 -r /dev/ttyUSB0? Or do I run that first?

KM4ACK

Sep 14, 2022, 5:52:37 PMSep 14
to pat-users
Port 4532 is the default port of rigctld. Take a look at the man page (man rigctld) for ridctld. The "-t" switch is how you can change the port if needed.

You need to run the rigctld command before starting Pat. If you have pat running as a service, you need to restart the service after starting rigctld.

73, de KM4ACK