1st step to PACTOR support

Torsten Harenberg

Nov 5, 2017, 1:52:58 PM11/5/17
to pat-users
Dear all,

(copied from https://github.com/la5nta/pat/issues/40 )

Just to let you know: I just sent and received the first messages
successfully through the air using a SCS PTC controller. Some code
cleanup is still needed, but the biggest step has been taken to support
SCS PTCs (PACTOR and PACKET) in Pat. :-) (if Martin is willing to import
my hacks at the end ;-) ).

73s Torsten DL1THM

la7um...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2017, 3:45:33 PM11/5/17
to pat-users
Torsten.
This is very good news.
Could you please also enable a choice for setting the SCS-box into 300Baud Packet and center the 200Hz Packet spacing around 1500Hz?
And make an option of increasing stepwise TXDelay into being extreme 1250msek if needed.

Reason: A possibility of using that packet mode through some linked crossband voice repeaters being protected with Subtones (= Slow Opening and Switching).
VHF/UHF can be the only way up at 70 deg north through extreme aurora.

I have tested a setup letting a RMS Packet using a KAM-XL being adjusted that way as a SERVER on 70cm (Faking a 1200B port as KPC4)  towards a KLIENT RMS Express running a Signalink UZ7HO Soundmodem setup as described 300B/1500Hz.  This was done on a terrible 70cm path which never worked running normal 1200B Packet. Worked like a charm with this special 300B setup.

73 de LA7UM Finn

LA5NTA

Nov 5, 2017, 4:53:23 PM11/5/17
to pat-users
Yes, this is very exciting news Torsten!

Of course, I am ready to review, (work with) and pull your patches when you are ready. Can't wait to try this out myself :-)

Thank you so much for your efforts so far, it's been fun following your progress.

Regarding Finn's request:
This sounds like a very interesting use case, and we should definitely consider adding support for this. But, I vote that we focus on getting the core functionality cleaned up and merged first. It's easier to expand functionality and support various customization afterwards.

--
73 de LA5NTA/Martin

Torsten Harenberg

Nov 12, 2017, 1:31:31 PM11/12/17
to pat-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Finn,

Martin and I discussed today a initialization scheme for the PTCs within
Pat and came up with a solution that would give the opportunity to
define their own optinal "init file" inside the Pat setup. That file
would contain commands that are being sent to the PTC before it is
switched into host mode and a connection is made. Using that, your
application should be possible with minor effort on your side.

Just for curiosity: what kind of PTC would you use for that and what
host platform (PC/Win, PC/Linux, Mac, Pi) are you using? Maybe you could
act as a beta tester.

Best 73s from Düsseldorf

Torsten DL1THM

la7um...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2017, 4:13:15 PM11/12/17
to pat-users
Torsten
Good news.
I am running a P4Dragon 7800 for Pactor, and sometimes 1200B packet using RMS Express. Packet done in Kiss mode, I believe.
Also Winmor and 1200B (and testing 300B packet) using UZ7HO in combination with SignaLink and RMS Express.
Pc Win10. Hence SCS Driver for P4Dragon exists.

I use a Macbook Pro 10.10.5 (Yosemite)   Not updated yet because then no more able to use my  BW Brother Laser Printer.
This Mac I would be interested in testing and using for ARDOP with the SignaLink, and Pactor + Packet by using the Dragon.
Not sure about the driver issue here.

Being unfamiliar with command line settings I may need heavy assistanse.

Not running Linux

I like the concept of running Host mode, then Packet and Pactor ports can be run simultanuously.
Finn LA7UM

Andy Kopac

Jan 18, 2018, 11:26:18 PM1/18/18
to pat-users
Hi Folks,
Any more updates on pactor with Pat?

Torsten Harenberg

Jan 19, 2018, 7:54:23 AM1/19/18
to pat-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Am 19.01.18 um 05:26 schrieb Andy Kopac:
> Any more updates on pactor with Pat?

it's up and running and has been tested at two stations (both in PACTOR
and even in PACKET mode).

It's not feature complete yet (for example, there is no listen mode up
to now), but for normal "end-user" usage everything is there.

We did not had any opportunity to test with the P4dragon models (as we
don't have one).

Martin will include it as a 3rd party image (so I can continue
developing the driver) as soon as he finds the time. Then it is
available for everybody. And I will need to write some instructions how
to use it.

73s

Torsten DL1THM

frspin

Jan 26, 2018, 3:48:45 PM1/26/18
to pat-users

Il giorno venerdì 19 gennaio 2018 13:54:23 UTC+1, Torsten Harenberg ha scritto:
Hi,

Am 19.01.18 um 05:26 schrieb Andy Kopac:
> Any more updates on pactor with Pat?

it's up and running and has been tested at two stations (both in PACTOR
and even in PACKET mode).

It's not feature complete yet (for example, there is no listen mode up
to now), but for normal "end-user" usage everything is there.

We did not had any opportunity to test with the P4dragon models (as we
don't have one).

John Wiseman G8BPQ have now a ardopc sw modem with TCP and serial interface. In serial mode this modem emulate DR7400 model.

This can be used for P4dragon models test, if we have a beta version of PAT for this.

Regards
Franco Spinelli
IW2DHW

adk...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2022, 4:23:50 PM (7 days ago) Aug 1
to pat-users
Hi Torsten
My Names Andy.  I have a system pn my boat with pactor IIPro/PActor II modem with serial port and usb cable that currently is running on a windows laptop.  My whole boat runs on a Pi.  I'd like to get off this windows system and get PAT working on my pi.  The radio is a ic-718.  I'm really struggling with it over here.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Andy