Forms

Curtis Ayers

Jul 9, 2021, 11:41:46 AM7/9/21
to pat-users
Just updated last night and checked out the templates. Nice job developers! Put me back to adding the RPi to my serious go-box. THANK YOU
73,
Dwayne N4MIO

Chris Keller

Jul 9, 2021, 1:32:09 PM7/9/21
to Curtis Ayers, pat-users
Thanks Curtis! We saw this as one of the serious missing features that was holding back EmComm users, which is why we're so happy to be able to offer it now!

Now if we could just crack the VARA issue... 😉

Jim Weisgram KJ7DMV

Jul 9, 2021, 1:42:43 PM7/9/21
to Chris Keller, Curtis Ayers, pat-users
Yes, it is much better for sending reports and such in a standard way, without needing attachment workarounds.

Unfortunately in my area we are migrating to Vara now.

>> Jim

C. Matthew Curtin

Jul 9, 2021, 2:37:47 PM7/9/21
On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 1:32 PM Chris Keller <xyl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Now if we could just crack the VARA issue... 😉

Far be it from me to call a premature end to a celebration :) but message precedence is a bigger issue for me than the transport.

I presume that the concern about VARA is more of an issue about P2P configurations than anything else. Is that correct?

--
C Matthew Curtin  Columbus Ohio USA

Curtis Ayers

Jul 9, 2021, 2:43:56 PM7/9/21
to pat-users
Amen on VARA!

Thanks Curtis! We saw this as one of the serious missing features that was holding back EmComm users, which is why we're so happy to be able to offer it now!

Now if we could just crack the VARA issue... 😉

Chris Keller

Jul 9, 2021, 2:44:02 PM7/9/21
to Dwayne Ayers, Curtis Ayers, pat-users
The big issue with VARA right now is that it's not open-source and has no published API, so we can't use it as a modem without either a) convincing the developer to publish an API or otherwise b) reverse-engineering one. There's also the matter of getting it to run on Linux/RPi since the VARA modem software is designed for Windows only, but that's a more tractable problem with Wine.

Amen on VARA!

Jul 9, 2021, 2:45:52 PM7/9/21
to C. Matthew Curtin, Chris Keller, Curtis Ayers, pat-users

Registered VARA is just much more robust.

Jul 9, 2021, 5:04:13 PM7/9/21
to C. Matthew Curtin, Chris Keller, Curtis Ayers, pat-users
Actually, Vara is so much faster than standard packet that our Winlink gateway congestion is cut way down. I am in a CERT type organization, volunteer emergency response team.

I'm located in Portland Oregon and our amateur radio communications network needs to be able to respond to a major earthquake that could wipe out power and internet and a lot of infrastructure.

P2P is a nice to have, but most of our messages go from the field to an emergency operations center.

It might  be handy to leverage P2P to share information among field teams if we find we want that.