Re: Pat v0.10.0 released

Chris Keller

Sep 9, 2020, 2:32:50 PM9/9/20
to LA5NTA, pat-users
Outstanding, thanks Martin!

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 12:29 PM LA5NTA <martin.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pat v0.10.0 has been released, and binaries for Linux, macOS and Windows are available at https://github.com/la5nta/pat/releases.

Changes:
* Add support for P4 Dragon modems
* Add RMS list viewer in Web GUI's connect modal
* Add support for additional connect parameters for pactor
* New max length of message attachment filenames (255 characters)

For more details, see milestones/v0.10.0 and compare/v0.9.0...v0.10.0.

--
73 de LA5NTA/Martin

jouko...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2020, 12:45:23 PM9/13/20
to pat-users
Martin, waiting for VARA to be implemented in PAT
73 Jouko OH5RM

KM4ACK

Sep 14, 2020, 11:45:31 AM9/14/20
to pat-users
"Martin, waiting for VARA to be implemented in PAT"

I doubt VARA will be included in Pat until the VARA developer allows it. He charges $$ for the full unlocked version and only builds for Windows. It would be nice if he released it as open source so it could be ported to other platforms. I wouldn't hold my breath. The VARA developer has said many times that he has no intention of releasing for anything other than Windows. What is sad is that the ham community would accept this and use VARA at all.

73, de KM4ACK

Ed Fardos

Sep 14, 2020, 12:17:43 PM9/14/20
to KM4ACK, pat-users
+1

A proprietary standard is a non-standard, especially if it's implemented at an infrastructure/dependency level.

I really like Pat's modular approach to embrace any/all modems regardless of license restrictions. Open source
is about choice, and Pat delivers.

Great work on pat 10.0!

--craig
KM6LYW

On 9/14/20 8:45 AM, KM4ACK wrote:
> "Martin, waiting for VARA to be implemented in PAT"
>
> I doubt VARA will be included in Pat until the VARA developer allows it. He charges $$ for the full unlocked version and only builds for Windows. It would be nice if he released it as open source so
> it could be ported to other platforms. I wouldn't hold my breath. The VARA developer has said many times that he has no intention of releasing for anything other than Windows. What is sad is that the
> ham community would accept this and use VARA at all.
>
> 73, de KM4ACK
>
> On Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 11:45:23 AM UTC-5 jouko...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Martin, waiting for VARA to be implemented in PAT
> 73 Jouko OH5RM
>
> On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 9:32:50 PM UTC+3 xyl...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Outstanding, thanks Martin!
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 12:29 PM LA5NTA <martin.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Pat v0.10.0 has been released, and binaries for Linux, macOS and Windows are available at https://github.com/la5nta/pat/releases.
>
> Changes:
> * Add support for P4 Dragon modems
> * Add RMS list viewer in Web GUI's connect modal
> * Add support for additional connect parameters for pactor
> * New max length of message attachment filenames (255 characters)
>
> For more details, see milestones/v0.10.0 <https://github.com/la5nta/pat/milestone/30?closed=1> and compare/v0.9.0...v0.10.0 <https://github.com/la5nta/pat/compare/v0.9.0...v0.10.0>.
>
> --
> 73 de LA5NTA/Martin

Martin Hebnes Pedersen

Sep 14, 2020, 7:41:00 PM9/14/20
to KM4ACK, pat-users
I think you are spot on in your comment Jason. Thanks :)

I will not prioritize adding VARA support as long as it is Windows/x86 only. The majority of Pat users do not run Windows, meaning that most users would not benefit from the hours spent writing a transport driver for that modem. I simply can't justify spending time on it. That said, if someone else is up for it then please let me know.

Also, I very much agree that it is sad to see the ham community embracing yet another closed-source proprietary mode. I hope more will start to see the benefits of open-source software and open protocols, and how proprietary systems are damaging our hobby. I strongly believe in the ability for hams to study, experiment with and advance the technology we use. Just like we've been doing with our antennas and other hardware for decades, we need to be able to do the same with our digital modes.

Anyway. Thanks to all for the encouraging words in this thread! :-) I'm sure it is much appreciated by the other contributors as well. I for one really enjoy reading all of your comments, and are greatful for everyone participating in the discussions to keep the community going.

--
73 de LA5NTA / Martin

Jan Peterson

Sep 14, 2020, 8:52:07 PM9/14/20
to Martin Hebnes Pedersen, KM4ACK, pat-users
You would think we would have learned from the UI-View situation.

73 de KD7ZWV
  -jan-

--
Jan L. Peterson
<jan.l.p...@gmail.com>

rich.m...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2020, 1:21:28 PM11/6/20
to pat-users
I had got very close to implementing Wine/Vara - however, looking deeper into the logged error messages, Vara code depends on certain Windows Performance libraries, i.e. functions that measure CPU usage, data rates, etc. and Wine is not emulating those function interfaces. :( so, unless Wine ..
again something about holding breath.

KN4ZIV

Nov 6, 2020, 1:47:43 PM11/6/20
to pat-users
I thought Amateur Radio was all about learning.  I realize VARA was released outside the US, but I really can't understand how the scant publication on the protocol is sufficient for use in the United States.  And the reason the publication isn't more detailed is that the developer doesn't want others to be able to copy his work.

I understand wanting to make a buck, but in this hobby, this isn't the way to go about it.  Speaking of which, how would one donate to the Pat Developers, because you know... that seems like a better thing to throw a couple of bucks at.

Cheers!

Chris Keller

Nov 6, 2020, 2:19:40 PM11/6/20
to pat-users
Thanks for doing an initial investigation, Rich. It's unfortunate that the VARA modem can't even be run under Wine. :(

Chris Keller

Nov 6, 2020, 2:21:48 PM11/6/20
to pat-users
If you're really motivated, Martin has a Liberapay account, similar to Patreon but more open-source culture. :)

David Vrona

Nov 12, 2020, 3:13:00 PM11/12/20
to pat-users
Done....